Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

hi Dr. Im online, how can we chat?

hi Dr. I'm online, how can we chat?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. My name isXXXXX and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Customer:

Hi Dr. Rick

Customer:

I'm suspecting of having early stages of Keratoconus, based on what I've been researching online

Customer:

I made a photoshop image simulating what I see

Dr. Rick :

Given the auto refraction data as well as your manifest refraction I can tell you that there is no evidence that you have keratoconus

Dr. Rick :

let me pull up the picture you posted. Be right back

Dr. Rick :

OK. got it.

Customer:

ok, the top one is what my left eye sees (very sharp)

Dr. Rick :

The ghosting around letters like that can be from many, many causes...anything from dry eyes, to blepharitis, to cataracts, etc.

Customer:

the bottom one is what my right eye sees when looking at the top image

Customer:

ya. i have dry eyes

Dr. Rick :

I can tell you that keratoconus would cause much, much worse distortion in your vision.

Customer:

oh thank god

Customer:

but there is no chance even early stages (undetected) keratoconus?

Dr. Rick :

I bet then that is what is causing your vision problem...I would use some natural tears. Here is a home therapy that you can do that will address many of the common causes of vision problems like yours:

Customer:

when I use lubricant eye-drops the ghosting goes completely for about 30 seconds or so

Customer:

lubricant = artificial tears

Dr. Rick :

No. No way. Not even early keratoconus.....not with your refraction.

Dr. Rick :

I would not worry about keratoconus if I were you.

Dr. Rick :

Here is information on that home therapy:

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you are suffering from an anterior segment/tear film issue. Many times, for all sorts of reasons, the anterior surface of the eye starts to have difficulties. What can cause this? Well, there are a number of conditions but the most common are dry eyes, allergies and blepharitis....many times all three conditions act together to make you miserable. In order to solve your problem you need to address all of these issues at the same time.

When it comes to allergies it is almost impossible to pin down the offending agent(s) and, therefore, treatment needs to focus on controlling the symptoms. Dry eyes are very common and can be improved by a stepwise series of therapies. First, the use of natural tears 4-6+ times/day to augment your natural tear production, if this doesn’t work then you can try temporary punctal occlusion of the lower puncta, then, if needed, temporary occlusion of all 4 puncta then, if indicated, surgical ( non-reversible) closure of the puncta. The openings to your tear drainage system are called puncta and you have one opening on each lid, near your nose.

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk. You may not be able to see this “gunk” yourself, unless it is really bad, but it shows up clearly on slit lamp examination.

The best treatment for this condition daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on your eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Baby shampoo lid scrubs will also help to wash away allergens and stimulate tear production, thereby addressing all three of your issues. Remember, this is not an instant fix. While you are waiting for the lid scrubs to have affect you can use over the counter allergy pills such as Travist, dimetapp or Zyrtec.

Should your symptoms get worse, your vision become significantly affected or things just not get better in 3 weeks or so you should have a complete eye examination by your local ophthalmologist to look for other, less common, causes of your symptoms.

I understand that this treatment seems a bit "too low tech" to be of value, but after 2 decades of clinical practice, I can assure you (even from personal experience :) that it, does indeed, work.

Dr. Rick :

Having things get better for a short time with ointment makes sense. Try the above treatment and I bet you will be better in a few short weeks :)

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

the first clinic I visited diagnosed me with dry eyes and excessive dandruf (Blepharitis)

Dr. Rick :

Sounds like they were correct.

Dr. Rick :

Are you still there?

Customer:

to be honest, I'm a bit relieved

Dr. Rick :

I'm glad that I could be of assistance.

Dr. Rick :

No need to worry about keratoconus.

Dr. Rick :

Have a good day.

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer:

I'm puzzled as to what to do about this. The original problem with dryness was due to my eyelids doesn't get closed completely when I sleep

Customer:

So I used a sleep mask, which helped a lot

Dr. Rick :

If your eyelids do not close when you are asleep you can tape them closed until you can see an eye surgeon to address, and fix, the problem

Customer:

I used to wake up with really lot of pain (as if there is a foreign object in my eye)

Customer:

in any case, i'm going to save our chat and take it with me to my next exam (this coming Tuesday).

Dr. Rick :

In the case I would also use an ointment before bedtime, something like lacrilube or refresh PM. I'm not sure of the brand names in the UAE

Dr. Rick :

That sounds like a very good idea. Have a good weekend.

Dr. Rick :

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Customer:

thank you Dr.

Customer:

bye

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.