Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Hello, My question is about an eye injury I recieved 2

My question is about an eye injury I recieved 2 days ago. The first issue is that I have no health insurance and not much money. I got poked inthe eye (again 2 days ago) in the morning, at that time I wasn't sure that it actually got the corner of my eye I thought it might have just caught the bridge of my nose. It was sore for a little while and then passed. The next day the white part of my eye was red and now a good portion of the white of the eye is Red. There is no pain or swelling or brusing in the eye or around it.
Is there something I should be doing as far as eye drops or anything else or will this pass with time. I would rather not go thru the rest of my life with a bright red eye if you know what I mean. I also should mention that there are no vision problems at this or any other point since the accident.

Thanks Bradley
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. My name isXXXXX and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Bradley,

First of all, let me say that it sounds like you are going to be OK.

Are you available to chat?

Dr. Rick :

I cannot see anything that you are typing. Our chat system may not be working well at the moment. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Sorry about any problems you may have had on the chat system. We have been infected with Gremlins and our engineers are in the process of hunting them down and killing 'em....

Let me repeat what I typed in chat and we can continue here:

Dr. Rick : Hi. My name isXXXXX and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Dr. Rick : Bradley,

Are you available to chat?

What did you poke your eye with and how did it occur?

Do you wear contact lenses?

Just so I understand: Other than the white part of your eye looking beet red, there is no pain, no discharge and no changes in vision. Correct?

I look forward to your reply....
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Bradley,

I'm not sure if you can read my post above....let me tell you what I think is going on.

You have experienced a sub conjunctival hemorrhage, a common event that occurs to many people.

In your case, however, we do know what caused it: The stick that poked you....

In the vast majority of cases, sub conjunctival hemorrhage is nothing to worry about. It is usually not a sign of any serious condition but rather is just a small broken blood vessel in the conjunctiva that looks much worse than it really is.

No treatment is necessary. Think of a subconjunctival hemorrhage as a bruise. The reason it looks so red (some people say it looks like a piece of raw meat) is that the skin on your eye is very thin so the underlying blood shows through easily. On your arm, for instance, a bruise looks blue/purple because the overlying skin is thick, blocking the red color of the blood.

Like a bruise elsewhere a subconjunctival hemorrhage will slowly go away over the course of a couple of weeks. It may spread around the globe some and change colors as it clears. This is nothing to be concerned about.

As long as your eye does not hurt, your vision is OK and you are not having any other symptoms, then you do not need to worry at all.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Please accept my apologies for the technical problems we have experienced with the chat system today.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest