Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

The bottom of my eye is swollen, and to me it seems like my

The bottom of my eye is swollen, and to me it seems like my bottom tear duct is clogged. Each day it is getting worse instead of better and today is day three. It also kind of hurts. What can I do to get it to go down or fix the problem?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 1 year ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Can you take a picture of it and attach it to your reply?
Customer:

Yes let me do that right now!

Customer:

Full Size Image

Doctor DanB : Thank you. Is there any way you can get a closer up view in better lighting?
Customer:

Yes, I will try.

Customer:

Full Size Image

Doctor DanB : I actually think this looks like a stye and not necessarily a tear duct infection. Let me elaborate a little...
Doctor DanB : A stye (or chalazion which is an old, chronic stye) is a blocked oil gland in the eyelid that causes a swollen and sometimes focal, tender bump on the eyelid. When the opening of the gland is obstructed the oil spills out into the inside tissues of the eyelid which incites an immune reaction, causing the swelling, redness and tenderness, but these only rarely become secondarily infected and therefore usually don't respond to antibiotics. The definitive treatment for these is to use intensive hot compresses, but many people dont do them as intensively as is necessary to fully treat them. It should be as hot as you can tolerate without burning your skin, massaging the eyelids while they are on there. This should be done 4x/day and doing this daily, it can take up to 3 weeks of this intensive regimen for them to resolve, but most will resolve within this time. The ones that don't resolve after this need to be opened in a minor office procedure by your ophthalmologist. But unfortunately OTC medicines that say they treat styes are essentially ineffective and don't treat the root cause of the stye, which is the blocked oil gland that usually will resolve with the heat and massages. As far as why they happen, for the most part some people just form these and others don't. There oftentimes is a familial tendency to get these. But also a baseline inflammation in the eyelids can contribute to the formation of these. Therefore if this eyelid inflammation, called blepharitis, is treated daily it can lessen the incidence of these for many people.
Doctor DanB : Does this make sense?
Doctor DanB : Do you have any other questions about this?
Customer:

So it is going to take 3 weeks before this goes away.

Customer:

Does make up or anything else I should know about, contribute to the oil glands getting blocked?

Doctor DanB : Oh no. Not necessarily. It's just that if its not gone after 3 weeks them it would likely require a procedure by your ophthalmologist to get it to go away. Many resolve in a week or so. There's no proven theory behind why these happen but I would recommend staying off the eye makeup while you're treating this.
Customer:

Okay, well thank you so much! I was starting to freak out because it kept getting worse as time went on instead of getting better. But I will start the heat treatments!!

Doctor DanB : Youre welcome. Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!
Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology