Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

Wednesday morning I noticed that the left side of my left eye

Customer Question

Wednesday morning I noticed that the left side of my left eye was all red like a blood vessel had broken. There wasn't any pain so I wasn't concerned. However, by Friday it was hurting continues to today. It isn't a sharp pain; more of an ache and maybe pressure.

I went to the doctor Friday and he put drops in the eye and looked at it under a fluorescent light but didn't see anything. Couldn't give me an answer why it hurt either.

Today I also have a headache also although it feels kind of like sinus. Advil helped but the pain came back when it wore off. Now it almost looks like there is a blister or something in the blood.

Should I go to the ER or Urgent Care this weekend? Or wait until Monday to see an Ophthamologist? Or is this something that will correct itself?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 1 year ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Doctor DanB : This sounds like this is a subconjunctival hemorrhage. This is essentially a bruise on the eye, except on the eye the tissue that the blood is underneath is transparent so you see the blood exactly the color it is, versus a bruise on your arm which is hiding beneath layers of skin.There are things that can predispose to getting these hemorrhages. Warfarin (coumadin) is one of the most common drugs that cause this. However, taking Plavix, aspirin, ibuprofen, motrin, aleve, naprosyn can thin the blood and predispose to these. Also taking garlic, ginseng, ginko biloba and vitamin E can also thin the blood and predispose to getting these. However, as any bruise, these can happen without taking any of these blood-thinning medications. Also when there is significant pressure being generated in the eye or head, this can happen from that. Examples of this include eye rubbing, sneezing, coughing, lifting a heavy load, straining against a bowel movement or trauma to the eye. If you are not taking any of these medicines or vitamins and/or you've not had any of these pressure causing events, then having multiple episodes of this could be a sign of a bleeding problem and should be checked out by your primary care doctor.In the meantime, if there is any eye discomfort, cool compresses and/or artificial tears can help alleviate your symptoms. As long as there has been no prior eye surgery or trauma, however, there is usually little cause for concern. These hemorrhages will usually resolve in 1-3 weeks spontaneously, as any bruise would.
Doctor DanB : If, however, the pain becomes severe despite Tylenol, artificial tears, and/or cool compresses, or if it associated with one of the worst headaches of your life, or you notice significant vision loss associated with this, then I would consider those emergencies to see the ophthalmologist for. In the end, though, those are exceedingly rare. Does this make sense?
Doctor DanB : Do you have any other questions about this?
Customer :

Thanks for your quick response. I've had broken blood vessels in the past (not many times) but it never hurt and it seemed to clear up more quickly. And there wasn't any pain.

Customer :

If my symptoms sound common, I'll try cool compresses and continue what I'm doing.

Doctor DanB : Yes, they sound pretty common and vision loss and severe pain/headache are quite rare with these. Do you have any other questions about this?
Customer :

I guess not. Any idea why it didn't hurt initially? Seems like it's getting worse.

Customer :

Sorry...I guess I do have more question. :)

Doctor DanB : If the blood continues to expand as it likely did later, causing that bubble then the expansion can cause some discomfort. Make sense?
Customer :

I guess so. And the achy feeling is because of pressure from the blood build up?

Doctor DanB : I hope this has been helpful. I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need. If you would like to ask further questions or clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns. If your concerns have been resolved...Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!