Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I developed shortness of breath on exertion and while talking

I developed shortness of breath on exertion and while talking two years ago when I started taking Crestor. The cardiologist assured me it was not the Crestor. I have had numerous pulmonary function tests, cat scans, sniff test, stress tests, and chest X-ray. All tests were fine. I had been prescribed lorazepam, cyclobenzaprine, flexoral, inhalers and nothing seemed to help. I had a right heart catherization last December and pulmonary hypertension was ruled out. I was put on Zoloft and my heart raced and my vision became blurry. I stopped that med. I have seen a neurosurgeon and neurologist who thought perhaps this was a tic and prescribed orap. When told it might worsen my eye dystonia, I was afraid to take the med. I have had a brain scan, and EEG and they were fine. I then saw an acupuncturist who didn't think could help but suggested I have muscle damage caused by Crestor. My nature is not to be anxious so I find anxiety difficult to believe. I am 67 years old and am frustrated by this condition as I have always been active walking 2-3 mikes a day and this breathlessness makes it difficult. Might you have any ideas as to a direction I might go? Thank you for your input. Kathy
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. My name isXXXXX and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. I will switch to Q&A format. This format works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Kathy,

I am sorry to hear that you have been suffering for so long.

At this point it sounds like you have spent quite some time trying to get to the bottom of what is going on. I am sure that your previous doctors have thought of, and ruled out, all of the common and easily treatable conditions that could be causing your issues. Would you say this is a correct statement?

I think it might be time for you to take a very difficult, and bold, step to see if you can get some relief. At this point I think the best thing for you to do would be to gather up copies of all your medical records and travel to a large University Teaching hospital. At an institution like that you could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.

The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the country and I am sure that there is one near you.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I have been to the Cleveland Clinic in Florida, Mass General Hospital in Boston, Brigham and Women's Hospital and Beth Israel in Boston, and Capd Cod Hospital. I'm told I am not a textbook case. Surely someone can discover the reason for my issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This doesn't seem like an eye issue. Ithis is a breathing issue????
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is not an eye issue, it is a breathing issue????
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
The issue isn't about the eye, it is about breathing!!
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Kathy,

Thank you for that extra information. At this point you have been to the best hospitals and been seen by the best doctors in the world. If they have not been able to figure things out at this point, I would not spend the time and energy going to The Mayo Clinic....I doubt that they can add much to what the folks at Harvard have already done.

I think you have done everything that can be done at this point and, without a significant change in your symptoms I do not think there is much that can be done.....

I realize that this was not the answer you were hoping to hear but it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information.

Surely, you prefer that I tell the truth rather than what you wish to hear. Because it reflects very poorly on me unless you press one of the top three feedback choices, keep this in mind when rating my answer and please do not punish me for being honest. I understand that this may not be easy to hear, and I empathize.

Even though my answer was not quite what you were hoping for, please understand that my priority was to provide you with the most honest information. With that in consideration, I hope that you found my answer useful. Please click the excellent feedback button so that I can receive credit for my efforts.

I just noticed your last post. I'm not sure why your issue got to the eye thread, but I am also an expert in the internal medicine tread and feel confident in my reply. If you would like, however, I would be happy to ask the moderators to move your thread to the medicine department.....this site does not have a specific pulmonology section...

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Wow! Negative feedback...given while I was typing my response to your most recent post. :(

I am sorry to see that you have given me a poor rating for the assistance I have provided. Ratings do not apply to system malfunctions...only to the quality of the expert.
I would ask that you give me a chance to provide you with further data so that you have the information you need to address your issue.
I would appreciate a good or excellent rating and will work hard to obtain it if given the chance.
Thank you.