Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems
68478506

I have a tiny white pimple on my lower eye lid. First it felt

Customer Question

I have a tiny white pimple on my lower eye lid. First it felt itchy and hurt so I thought I was getting a stye. Then I noticed the white pimple. What is it and how should it be treated?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Tom : Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your question. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom : Are you available to chat now?
Dr. Tom : Since the indicator says you're standing by, I'll take this time to give you a few thoughts. You probably have correctly diagnosed your problem as a sty
Dr. Tom : There are several types of styes that we can get. Your first thoughts on using hot compresses are exactly correct and you should continue that even though What looks like a pimple has come to the surface. The itching goes along with it. The majority of these will clear over a day or two with hot compresses alone. The swelling around the sty can certainly become tender and you may develop some redness around it. The thing to be on look out for is the development of signs that suggest it's becoming infected. This includes more swelling , more redness , more tenderness and a generalized red and inflamed Eye. This would require antibiotics. So in most cases, patients continue hot compresses, use some over-the-counter artificial eyedrops for symptomatic relief and the body resolves the problem. If it gets worse you certainly should see an ophthalmologist for complete diagnosis and treatment. I hope this information has been helpful. Thank you for allowing me to answer your question.
Dr. Tom : Since the indicator shows you to be off-line, I will switch over to the question-and-answer segment.
Customer :

A white pimple on my bottom red part of my eye lid is considered a sty? It is not swollen at all and the tenderness has gone away. So just put hot compresses on the red part of lower lid is what you recommend? How long should it take to go away? It is now Saturday morning and it started to bother me Wednesday night when I put a hot compress on it but have not done anything since then. I will begin again...but how often and for how long and is it OK to put right on it when it is on the red part of lower lid? Thank you.

Customer :

I am a little confused. The area is not swollen. You are saying the white pimple on the red part of my lower lid is a sty? How often should I put hot compresses on it? It started bothering me on Wednesday night when I put a hot compress on it and the itchiness went away but have not put a hot compress on it since then. How long should it take to go away?

Customer :

yes

Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
Yes Ronna, The term sty is commonly used for inflammations and infections of several different oil and mucous glands in the eye lid. Warm compresses are the primary initial treatment. Antibiotic ointments and oral antibiotics may be required, but given how minor your symptoms sound to be, the good news is that you have a good chance for this to clear without antibiotic treatment. You asked for how long you should apply the heat. We generally recommend ten minutes applications every few hours while awake. Yes, it gets tedious, but it's worth the effort. As for when resolution occurs..usually in several days if the body can beat it...so if by Monday you don't see real improvement, please contact your ophthalmologist for complete diagnosis and treatment. I hope this helps, best wishes.
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
In case you want to do some research, you will find the term chalazion. This is also called an internal hordeloum. There are lots of names and degrees of inflammation. .
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ronna,

Since you haven't rated my help to you I want to make sure that you don't have any other questions. My job is to be sure that you Are satisfied with the service. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ronna,

I'm just checking back in so we can complete our session.
.If you have further questions please let me know...other wise please check off a positive rating. Thank you.