Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

my 9 year old daughter complained of something being in her

my 9 year old daughter complained of something being in her eye, when i looked i see a smal grey/black speck, but it wont come out. rised hereye, eyebath, eyedrops, wet q-tip, nothing is budging it. I got a magnifying glass and looked at tit and it doesn't actually look like it's on the surface; it looks like it's embedded. It's Friday, of course, so our doc wont be able to see her till monday. is this the kind of thing i should take her to an emergency clinic for?

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?

I am available!

Doctor DanB : As long as the eye is not red, tender, discharge, painful or tearing involved then I do not think you need to rush her to the ER. I would just recommend using artificial tears 4 to 5 times per day and if these symptoms arrive then she should be seen sooner.
Doctor DanB : Does this make sense?

Yes. I am seeing some redness in her eye area, but I think that might be from all the fussing. Do you have any tricks you can share for removal of an object?

Doctor DanB : I wish I had a magic trick that would enable you to get this out. But it sounds like you have done an exhaustive attempt at trying to get it out. If it does not come out despite all you have done, then only an ophthalmologist should be trying to get this out and I would not recommend continuing to try further.
Doctor DanB : Do you have any other questions about this?

She will be relieved to hear that. I will stop poking her eyeball. Thank you for your prompt response.

Have a good night.

Doctor DanB : My pleasure. Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!