Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I woke up in the middle of the night with pain in both eyes.

I woke up in the middle of the night with pain in both eyes. I rinsed them with water, and the pain level went down after 30 minutes or so. I woke up this morning, and both eyes are red. I'm guessing lack of sleep is a partial contributor to this.

There is also a slight yellowing on the inside of my right eye. My eyes also have a minimal amount of pain. Would this be dry eyes remedied by Visine, or is something else going on?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Thank you for the question.I am Dr.A.S.Desai and I look forward to assisting you .

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Customer:

yes

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Is the pain still persisting in the eyes? Do you wear contact lenses?

Customer:

No contacts or glasses. Very mild pain, not much at all. Feels more like I'm tired.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The slight yellowing on the inside of the eye is most likely to be a pinguecula( a kind of degeneration of the conjunctiva). It does not have any ill effect on the eye and can be left alone.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

In that case the mild persistent pain is likely to be due to dry eyes.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Visine should be avoided and only lubricating eye drops can be used.

Customer:

Where can I get those?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Lubricating eye drops are available OTC.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Here is a small note on dry eyes-

Customer:

Recommended brand?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Dry eyes can occur from involvement of any of the 3 layers of the tear film. The tear film has 3 layers- aqueous, lipid and mucin. The most frquent layer to be affected is the aqueous layer. It is seen due to increased evapouration of tears as can be seen with excessive hours in front of the laptop/computer/television or long hours of continous reading or writing. It can also be precipitated by excessive exposure to air conditioning or even very hot and humid climate. The treatment is in the form of tear supplements such as over the counter preservative free Refresh tears eye drops , 1 drop 4 times a day for about a month.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Preservative free Refresh tears eye drops.

Customer:

And just follow label directions? All of those causes in that note apply to me over the past few days: computer, hot and humid, and going between A/C and outdoor high temps.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Just put one drop about 4-6 times a day for a month. It would take approximately a week before you begin to notice improvement with lubricating eye drops.

Customer:

Ok, thanks.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Is there anything else that I can answer for you?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist