Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

Hi iv noticed something in the corner of my eye (i think its

Hi iv noticed something in the corner of my eye (i think its call the conjunctiva) probably best just to show you a photo. not sure if its normal or something to be worried about, it is a bit itchy at times.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Thank you for the question.I am Dr.A.S.Desai and I look forward to assisting you .

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Conjunctiva is a translucent layer covering the entire outer surface of the eye and not just the corner of the eye. In the inner corner of the eye there is a raised lump which is called as the caruncle.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Full Size Image

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The caruncle ( as pointed by the three arrows) is a normal vestigeal part of the eye which does not have any major function . If it itches sometimes, try putting some lubricating eye drops ( available OTC) for 1-2 weeks. If itching persists then you can try putting Alaway/Zaditor (ketotifen) eye drops, 1 drop twice a day for 2 weeks.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

However for persistent itching you need to consult an ophthalmologist as you may need a stronger anti-histaminic eye drop such as olopatadine.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, thanks for your answer, im just concerned about some what looks like white dots on it, please see picture as linked.

http://i.imgur.com/bRWENnR.jpg?1

it just looks a bit inflamed and such

Hello Jackson,

Yes, it can sometimes get a bit inflammed thus causing irritation or itching. Howvere the above mentioned drops should be fine as prescribed.

But it is not a matter of great concern and should become alright soon. However the lump is going to remain the same as it is so in all individuals.

Does that make sense?

Thank you and best wishes.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yep all makes sense, but the little white dots ON the lump is what im referring to. i spent ages trying to get a good photo but this was the best i could do, hope you can see what i mean.

Yes I can see what you are trying to explain. It is a fairly good photo which you have sent.

The caruncle is normally pinkish in color and contains hair follicles, sebaceous glands and sweat glands. I guess the white dots which you are refering to are sebaceous glands which are seen more prominently. If there is no pain or severe redness, it should be a matter of concern. If pain or redness occurs then it could denote a blocked or infected sebaceous gland which would require antibiotic treatment ( very unlikely however).

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hmm well these sebaceous glands have recently become prominent on my scrotum as iv discussed with Dr. Nair on here previously so it would make sense if it were those, i just dont understand why they are suddenly just popping up everywhere

This is the age at which these glands become more active ( puberty and beyond) due to hormonal changes in the body. So let them just be as they are naturally.

If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.

Thank you and best wishes.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

today its been a bit irritated, is that normal?

Yes, irritation is common especially in presence of allergy or dry eyes.You can put

over the counter preservative free Refresh tears eye drops , 1 drop 4 times a day for about a month.

Did my answer help?

Let me know,

Dr.A.S.Desai