Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

Last Friday my cat swiped at my 12 month old baby. We saw a

Last Friday my cat swiped at my 12 month old baby. We saw a tiny little scratch on his nose but no other injury. Then yesterday I noticed that on the side of his eyeball there is a small red spot. It is the side of his eye opposite from his nose. The situation with the cat swiping at him was several days ago now- do you think he needs to go to the dr? It does not appear to be getting infected if it is related- there is no pus at all in his eye, no general puffiness or redness. He actually did not seem bothered by the incident at all other than to cry when it first happened and then he got over it quickly. Do you think it would be ok to watch it a little longer? Or do you think he needs to be seen by an eye dr right away?

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?

Yes, thank you

Doctor DanB : If this is one tiny little red spot on the white part of the eye opposite to where he was scratched, and the skin around the eye or the eyelid itself are not red puffy tender or otherwise irritated, then I think you're likely okay to observe this for now. But at the first sign of any of these symptoms, I would haven't seen by a doctor without hesitation. Does this make sense?

If it was going to get infected do you think it would be by now?

Doctor DanB : Very likely. However in medicine I've seen some strange things. So just be vigilant as I'm sure you would be.
Doctor DanB : Do you have any other questions about this?

No - it makes sense to me

Doctor DanB : Okay. Good luck. Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!

I will keep observing. If it was going to get infected- would it be likely to come on gradually? Meaning he wouldn't go from OK to dripping with pus and losing his eyesight overnight or anything?

Doctor DanB : No, I don't think you would see that scenario. It would be more gradual than that , but would like to start with the area around that red spot deepening and expanding and the child showing some signs that the eye is irritating.

Let me ask one more question please

If the red spot was caused by the cat, but it has not gotten infected... how fast will it clear on it's own?

Doctor DanB : I would expect it to clear within 1 to 2 weeks.

ok thank you for your help