Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

Im a 34 year old male. Having general eye pain in both

I'm a 34 year old male.

Having general eye pain in both eyes (since this morning, but particularly this afternoon). Sometimes worse in the left, sometimes the right, but fairly constant. Occasionally goes away, then comes back. Feels muscular (behind the eye, if that makes sense). The muscles and eyes feel "tired"

No added sensitivity to light, or loss of vision as far as I can tell.

It's a Sunday here (no physicians open, just the ER), and I am due to start prepping in a few minutes for a colonoscopy tomorrow morning.

Need some advice on best course of action (check on this eye thing in the morning? Head to the ER? Ignore and continue with colonoscopy prep?).

Just an additional note worth mentioning: Felt a little faint yesterday (but no eye pain) and had a racing pulse, so checked into our local clinic for a quick lookover. Blood pressure normal, but doctor figured I had OD'd on caffeine (due to large espresso beverage and two other cups of coffee that morning, much more than typical). Haven't eaten today or had caffeine, just clear liquids (gatorade). Pulse is pretty normal (75-80 bps).
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 1 year ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Customer:

yes thansk

Customer:

had some billing issues I had to straighten out

Doctor DanB : First of all, this isn't an emergency. For now, let me tell you what I suspect is at play here.
Customer:

great, would appreciate your thoughts

Doctor DanB : The most common reason for the eyes to be causing these symptoms is due to a dysfunctional tear film syndrome. The front of your eyes has a layer of tears coating it called the tear film (this layer of tears is different from the tears you produce when you cry or have an irritation in your eye). The tear film normally provides a healthy environment for the front of the eye (the cornea and conjunctiva) and also contributes significantly to clear vision. When the tear film is unstable or unhealthy (there are many reasons why this can be so, which I will get to) it becomes dysfunctional and can produce uncomfortable symptoms and blurry vision. This is called a dysfunctional tear film.People with a dysfunctional tear film can have multiple different symptoms ranging from redness, dull aching or pressure, sharp or stabbing pain, morning tearing, burning, and often eyelash mattering to tearing, stinging, itching, burning, a gritty/foreign-body senstation or just intermittent vision fluctuations. Their symptoms sometimes get better as the day progresses or they can often times worsen throughout the day, but they can get intermittent blurring when they use their eyes heavily in activities such as reading, watching TV, computer use or driving. A dysfunctional tear film can be due to many different factors. Different medicines such as psychiatric medicines, antihistamines, cold medicines and others can contribute to a dysfunctional tear film. Allergies in the eyes can also contribute (and or make worse). Some people have an innate deficiency in making their own tears (these people may also have other dry mucus membranes, such as their mouth, nasal passages, or genitalia). Any kind of eye surgery can actually cause and/or worsen this Many people have an inflammation in the eyelids called blepharitis which causes the tear film that is supposed to coat the front of the eye to not function as well, and then the eyes dry out.
Customer:

my eyes do tend to dry out overnight, i guess i should mention. I wear contacts (air optix), sometimes for days at a time without removing. Not sure if that contributes

Customer:

Should I continue with colonoscopy, and just follow up with Primary Care MD? Eye doctor?

Doctor DanB : That definitely contributes. I would recommend getting out of the contacts for a few days and lubricating aggressively with artificial tears 4-5x/day.
Customer:

Okay, will do. Thanks for the advice. Anything of concern to watch for? I'll contact the optometrist, but in the mean time just curious if I should be aware of anything

Doctor DanB : I think it's just fine to continue with the colonoscopy and be out of the contacts, using artificial tears for a few days and then if its not better after a few days I would recommend seeing your ophthalmologist.
Customer:

thanks, XXXXX XXXXX help!

Doctor DanB : If your eyes become significantly read and or light-sensitive then this could indicate a contact lens infection and this is something to watch out for. This is always a risk when you wear your contact lenses at night. Do you have any other questions?
Customer:

No, thanks you've been just great. Have a wonderful sunday.

Doctor DanB : You too. Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!
Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology