Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

My daughter has had conjunctivitis for about twelve days.

Customer Question

My daughter has had conjunctivitis for about twelve days. The first few days,she took OTC antihistamines, along with moisturizing eye drops(no redness reliever)and saline eyewash. None of these seemed to help and the redness had increased. She had a lot of clear,stringy mucous, but never developed any of the greenish yellow discharge commonly associated with bacterial conjunctivitis. I brought her to an outpatient clinic and the N.P. prescribed Tobramycin drops 0.3% to be administered every four hours for seven days. Today is day six and her eyes are still very red and she has also developed a rash around her eyes. She hasn't had a virus and hasn't been exposed to anyone with conjunctivitis. Any suggestions? Thank you!
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 1 year ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Can you attach a photo of you daughter's eyes?
Doctor DanB : Have her eyes been itchy?
Customer: They have not been itchy or terribly sore.
Customer: Did you receive the photo I sent?
Doctor DanB : No unfortunately, not yet. It may take a few minutes. Does she have seasonal allergies?
Customer: She does seem to have them this year,which is why I thought the antihistamines and eye wash might be helpful. I'll resend the photo.
Doctor DanB : Okay. I'll look for the photo. Did she have pain with this (eye pain)? Did it happen in both eyes equally and fairly simultaneously or did one eye clearly start a few days prior to the other eye?
Customer: They seemed to have become irritated simultaneously.
Doctor DanB : Are there any clear vesicles on the red areas of skin around her eyes? Does she have fevers. Double vision?
Customer: No vesicles,fever or double vision.
Doctor DanB : How did you send the email? To the websites' email address or did you try to attach it to a reply?
Doctor DanB : The photo I mean.
Customer: I couldn't attach it to the reply, so I sent it to the website's address. I'll try attaching it once more. Sorry for the confusion.Sent from my iPad
Doctor DanB : No problem. I'll try and look out for it either way.
Doctor DanB : Let's say that we give the website 15 to 20 minutes to pass your photo through to me by email. At that time if I have not seen it then I may not ever be able to see it in which case I will try and give you the best advice I can give you based upon our conversation as it stands now. How does that sound?
Customer: There are no vesicles, fever or blurred vision.
Customer: Sounds good. Thanks!
Customer: Sounds good.
Doctor DanB : Well, first let me apologize for not receiving that e-mail. I wish I had control of how this website operates but unfortunately I am a user like yourself. To that end, from your description I suspect this is likely allergic in nature. But it does sound as though she needs a fullbore attack on allergies. I would first start by using cold compresses on the eyes several times per day. In addition she should be on an oral antihistamine daily such as Clairtin, Allegra or Zyrtec. In addition she should be using an allergy drop such as Alaway or Zaditor. As long as she is not having colored discharge, fever, decreased or double vision, or other symptoms to suggest she is sick, this does not sound infectious. But if she is not significantly better from this after a couple of days of this therapy I would recommend that she see her ophthalmologist right away. Unfortunately in children, even in teenagers, infections can appear innocuous at first but then blossom to severity rather quickly. Does this make sense?
Doctor DanB : Does this make sense?
Customer: It does. It didn't seem like typical conjunctivitis from the start. We're supposed to be going away on vacation tomorrow. I'll follow up with her pediatrician and/or ophthalmologist. Should she discontinue the Tobramycin as it doesn't seem to be helping and may actually be causing the rash? Thank you for your time. I appreciate it.
Doctor DanB : Yes, I couldn't agree more. The tobramycin, at the very best, XXXXX XXXXX seem to be helping, and at the worst, may be instigating this rash. I would stop that and consult with your doctor. I hope your vacation goes smoothly, but just remember fevers, double vision, significant pain and her headaches, or changes in her behavior are ominous signs and need to be dealt with right away. I don't expect that but just so you've heard it. Good luck!
Doctor DanB : Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!
Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 1 year ago.
K
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 1 year ago.
I got the picture finally and it hasn't really changed my position. I still suspect this is allergic and that this and likely the tobramycin is responsible for the skin reddening. I just want to make sure that she doesn't wear contact lenses. If she does, we need to have a different conversation.
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 1 year ago.
I just wanted to follow-up with you to see how your daughter was doing. Is she getting better?