Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince

My eye color turns yellow sometimes and my urine is also yellowish

My eye color turns yellow sometimes and my urine is also yellowish sometime. What do I do to make my eye clean?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the question.I am Dr.A.S.Desai and I look forward to assisting you .

Yellowish discoloration of the white part of the eye ( conjunctiva)is significant only if it is seen uniformly in the enitre part which includes the part which is seen to the eye and the white part of the eye which is otherwise covered by the upper lid too. If the exposed part of the conjunctiva alone is yellowish then it is due to exposure to UV radiation of the sunlight, dust and dirt. However this is permanent and cannot be treated by any medicines ( do not believe if anyone states that there are whitening medicines as they are false ). Most eye doctors would have suggested you to wear tinted glasses.

If you have noticed that the yellowish discoloration of the conjunctiva is diffuse and under the upper eyelid also ( along with yellow colored urine) then it is a serious problem in the sense that it points towards towards a possibility of hepatitis or liver disease. In such a situation it is better to consult a physician who will advise for a few blood tests such as serum bilirubin, SGOT, SGPT ( liver function tests).

I hope that clarifies your doubts.

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince