Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

I had Cataract Surgery on both eyes about 2 years ago. About

I had Cataract Surgery on both eyes about 2 years ago. About 3 days ago, my vision in the right eye has developed some lines of what looks like specs of dirt. It is kinda like the lens is dirty or something similar. Looking for some advice on how serious this is and what i should do?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 1 year ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Do these lines or specks of dirt floating around in your vision when you move your eyes in different directions? Or are they always exactly in the same place in your visual field despite moving your eyes?
Customer:

they move with my vision

Customer:

sometimes it looks like a strat hair is caught in my vision if that helps

Customer:

just to add some more, sometimes it likes like my vision in my right eye is like looking through glass with specs on dirt on it

Doctor DanB : Okay. Thanks. Let me tell you what I think is going on here.
Doctor DanB : This sounds very consistent with what are called vitreous floaters and likely a posterior vitreous detachment (PVD). These floating spots or lines or cobwebs (they can come in many shapes and sizes) as some people call them, are tiny pieces of the vitreous jelly that occupies a large amount of the volume of the back of the eye. This vitreous jelly, when we're born, is the consistency of a jello jiggler (thick jello). As we age age, the vitreous gel inevitably liquifies and becomes more fibrous bands and water. Because of this liquification and the resultant fibrous bands that are left, there becomes more points of traction that the jelly exerts on the back of the eye where it is attached. As we move our eyes in different directions and as our pupils change shape, or even as we rub our eyes, some of these bands can become unattached from the back of the eye and a piece of it floats around, attached still to the rest of the jelly. It is this traction of the vitreous jelly on the retina that can sometimes produce flashes that you may see or may not see, or may see in the future. If you have or develop them, flashes tend to be small, like starbursts and are usually intermittent; they can also appear as an arcing light. One of the most important things to understand about floaters is that the process of a new floater happening can rarely lead to a retinal detachment, so it is important to know the 4 signs of a possible retinal detachment. These are: 1. sudden increase in or new floaters, 2. flashing or arcing lights that are frequent or persistent, 3. a shade/shadow/spot in your vision that you can't see light through, or 4. a large drop in your vision which doesn't improve after a few minutes. For any of these symptoms you must see an ophthalmologist as soon as possible; however, because these symptoms are new (And because you've had surgery in this eye) I would recommend making an appointment to see your ophthalmologist as soon as you are able.
Doctor DanB : Does this make sense?
Customer:

yes, how important is it to get checked out asap? as i will have to go after hours or at the weekend so will probably be going through emergency room .

Customer:

Also, is there is any way to get rid of/dampen the affects of these or is it permanent?

Doctor DanB : You are likely going to be fine if you just take it easy over the weekend and not do anything very's strenuous or vigorous as far as activity level is concerned. Don't rub that I and the less reading you can do with that guy over the weekend will probably be the better for you. By and large, floaters are so common and so frequently associated with aging that they are essentially normal, even though they are common in younger persons as well. While most people do not completely get rid if their floaters (they never completely and permanently go away), they usually get "better" from these floaters through one of more of three different mechanisms: 1. They can sometimes break up to some degree; 2. They may drift more out if your view; and 3. The brain usually learns how to ignore them to a large extent (and then they usually only become "visible" when they get "stirred up" by moving the eyes quickly from side-to-side or rubbing the eyes when looking at high contrast backgrounds such as white paper/walls, a bright sky or a computer monitor). There is really only way to permanently rid yourself of floaters and that is major surgery, so far the most part, most people just learn how to live with them unless they actually interfere with activities of daily living.
Doctor DanB : Do you have any other questions about this?
Customer:

No. Thanks for that. Lastly, how important would it be to get checked out?

Doctor DanB : I think it is very important to get a check out as soon as you can. You're likely going to be fine taking it easy this weekend but I would do your best to get into see your ophthalmologist next week. While the odds are there isn't anything wrong with the retina, there is certainly a distinct possibility that there is.
Customer:

ok thank you very much for your time and advice.

Doctor DanB : My pleasure. Good luck. Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!
Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology