Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems

my daughter ( 20 ) has a very red consentrated group of veins

my daughter ( 20 ) has a very red consentrated group of veins on the lower white area of her eye and it extends up into the occasionally flares up and becomes irritated when she has an attack of what we consider is dry then after the attack becomes less pronounced but is always there..she also has a clear flat but raised (almost like a contact lemse would look if only on part of the eye) in that same area extending over the white & iris part of the eye..can you please let me know what you think this all may be and what treatments would be used?

Dr. Tom : Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your question. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom : Are you available to chat?

Hi Dr. Tom

Dr. Tom : Hello, I'm sorry about your daughters eye problem. They ask a couple of questions to get started?.

I would like your opinion on what you think this is please

Dr. Tom : Thanks. Does your daughter have any other general long-term medical problems? Is she a person known to have lots of allergies? Has this problem gone on very long? Does she have any problems with her vision?. These answers will help me come up with some information for you.

No she is in good health.. she has had the area of veins for about a couple of years and " dry eye " episodes for about that time ..they have become a little more pronounced .. they go up and down in severity ..but the clear raised part is a few months now..she is near sighted and wore contacts for 2 uears but the red and flare ups happened before them..shje has stopped wearing them for now until her eye is sorted

Dr. Tom : Thank you for that information. And congratulations on your daughter having stopped her contacts. That is very important at this point. Given her history, the fact that this comes and goes, and that it is limited to one It suggests a couple of possibilities. One is episcleritis and the other is an inflamed to pteriguium. Give me a minute to type a little more information on these two conditions.

the red vein cluster is there all the time but just more inflammed and irritated when she has a dry eye attack

Dr. Tom : Epi scleritis is an Inflamation on the superficial portion of the conjunctiva. Your ophthalmologist will likely put her on a short dose of topical steroid eyedrops to bring it under control. A Pterygium is a noncancerous fleshy growth that occurs on the conjunctiva surface and can encroach upon the cornea. We try to minimize the irritation using artificial teardrops and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory eyedrops. Occasionally it is prudent to surgically remove a pterygium if it is significant. The good news is that both of these conditions are treatable and under good ophthalmological care certainly would not be expected to cause her to lose vision. When we finish our chat & off I will send you an email with links to several good websites that describe both of these conditions in detail. Do you have anything else you'd like to ask at the moment?

I have seen the yellowish growths that are sometimes on the eye often more near the nose side of the eye .. this is more clear and flat looking and the veins are red not yellowish..does that still sound like that? I had someone say the veins looked llike neo vascular but dont know what is..but the clear "thing goes over the cluster and extendes further than they are

I will like to read further on these 2 things ..I am hoping the 'clear thing does not need surgury

Dr. Tom : Yes it does. There are numerous variations. Neovascular simply means new blood vessels. But usually these blood vessels such as your daughter has Are not really new blood vessels but normal blood vessels that are slightly dilated due to the inflammation. I think you will have a much better understanding when I can get you to websites that describe these in detail with lots of photographs. Does that make sense? And is anything else you'd like to ask?

No that sounds good and a bit more of a releif that it is easily treatable..I look forward to the info to read. Thank you for your help.

Dr. Tom : You're very welcome. So now if you would check out by clicking on one of the positive happy faces I will switch us over to the format where I can send you an email link. Best wishes

O.K thanks

Wendy, please go ahead and do the rating so I can send you the website links. Thanks

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am not sure what is happening I clicked on the smiley face and waited for format to getmy email but hasnt gone to it just this page ..shall I put my email in this section?

Hi Wendy....try to do the rating again....BTW, you will not be recharged no matter how many times you click to positive button until the rating is accepted by JA. Thanks
Also, you won't need to send your email address. I'll send you the links here....I just have to leave the site to get the web addresses for you. It will take me a couple of minutes.

Here are the web links I promised. Please make sure that your daughter goes to the ophthalmologist. Without a proper exam in person, no diagnosis is possible.