Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I have shingles...diagnosed earlier this week. On the right

Customer Question

I have shingles...diagnosed earlier this week. On the right side of my upper face, right eye and scalp.
I'm about to wash my hair and just want to make sure it's OK to us a medicated shampoo.
ALso, by eye is swollen completely shut today but the lesions across my nose and forehead are beginning to crust. Is that normal? I am on prednisone tabs, hydrocodone and famciclovir tabs as well as prednisolone drops 4X a day.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 1 year ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Thank you for the question.I am Dr.A.S.Desai and I look forward to assisting you .

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Customer :

sure

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes, there can be swelling of the eyelid thus causing the eye to be shut. Since you are already taking oral anti-viral and steroids ( oral and eye drops) , I guess it will subside soon.

Customer :

OK, and there is nothing special I need to worry with regarding washing myhair?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

There can be associated blepharoconjunctivitis in case of shingles which causes the lid swelling.

Customer :

I used some frsh lemon juice and aloe vera gel topically yesterday and that seemed to help 'dry up' the lesions/blisters.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You may as well allow the lesions to dry up as it is the natural course of the disease to do so. There is usually no need for any local application.

Customer :

I'm not sure how I can get the eye drops into my eye when it is absolutely swollen shut today. Is it ok to spread it apart with my fingers so that I can get the medicine applied?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes , it is alright to spread the eyelids gently and instill the eye drops into the tiny opening between the lids.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It is the oral medicines which are more important in treating this condition rather than the eyedrops.

Customer :

OK, thank you. And yes, blepharoconjunctivitis is on the disgnosis paperwork from my opthomologist

Dr. A.S. Desai :

And it is alright to wash your hair as you would normally do. Just take care not to scrub the scalp vigourously.

Customer :

HA! No worries there...the tenderness would prevent me from doing that.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes, the lesions can be very nasty !!

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Is there anything else that I can answer for you?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you there?

Customer :

Do you have an opinion as to about how long it takes before the eye will look 'semi-normal' ? We are flying to NY for vacation a week from today and I'm just trying to make sure I'm not going to still look rather 'freakish'. I understand all cases are different, but just your general opinion is all I'm asking.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Normally it takes 3-5 weeks for the lesions to subside gradually. But I guess the lid swelling should begin to reduce by the next week ( since it is already a week since it started).

Customer :

Alright. Thank you so much for your time and information.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are most welcome. Hope you recover soon. Have a good weekend and a great vacation ahead.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Customer :

thank you.

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Hello Bonnie,

Since you haven't rated the answer yet, I was wondering if there was something more that you were expecting in the answer. Please feel free to do so and I would be glad to reply back.

Regards

Dr.A.S.Desai
Hi Bonnie,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Has the lid swelling come down ? Did my answer help?

Let me know,
Dr.A.S.Desai