Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I just received a diagnosis of Fuchs Dystrophy. I feel very

I just received a diagnosis of Fuch's Dystrophy. I feel very vulnerable. I am 65 years old and must continue to work to survive. My doctor says I probably won't lose my sight until another 15 to 20 years but I don't see myself able to save enough money to retire until after I'm 80. I understand that a only implants can cure me and I'm sure no one will offer me that at my age.

Is there anything I can do to retard this disease or improve my prospects?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 1 year ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Thank you for the question.I am Dr.A.S.Desai and I look forward to assisting you .

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Customer:

Yes

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It is true that there is nothing that one can do to prevent this disease from progressing further. However it is a very gradually progressive disease and can take decades to worsen.

Customer:

I am a psychologist by profession. It is necessary for me to read and write to assess and write reports. How "gradual" is this disease? How long can I reasonably expect to be able to see well enough to read and write?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Not every case would require a surgical treatment. If at all there are signs of corneal decompensation and raised intraocular pressure(IOP) then symptomatic treatment in the form of eye drops and contact lenses can be given. If there are no such signs then no intervention is required and only annual follow up should be fine.

Customer:

I also have cataracts in both eyes. My doctor does not want to do cataract surgery just yet. I have read that sometimes cataract surgery makes this disease worse? What's the best outcome for me: cataract surgery or no cataract surgery?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

For how long the clarity of vision would remain would depend on which stage of Fuch's dystrophy you are in. If in early stages ( only guttata) then vision would remain good. If IOP rises then the next stage of corneal edema sets in which can interfere with vision( can be treated with IOP lowering eye drops and bandage contact lenses)

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Sorry I got your last post after sending my previous reply.

Customer:

I don't know what stage I'm in. I'll have to ask my doctor

Customer:

What about cataract surgery?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes, the outcome of cataract surgery would heavily depend on the endothelial cells at the time of surgery. In Fuch's dystrophy there is loss of endothelial cells which can cause poor visual outcome after surgery. Hence the endothelial cells are assessed prior to surgery ( cell count and morphology) .

Customer:

Thank you so much for your information

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You can enquire about the stage of the disease and regarding the endothelial cell count and morphology , from your ophthalmologist. If the thickness of the cornea is good ( thinner than 630 microns) and cell count is good then only cataract surgery can be done. However if the surgeon feels that the above are not met with then a combined surgery of cataract extraction and keratoplasty can be done ( corneal transplantation).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are most welcome.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince