Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

My mother had cataract surgery about 5 weels ago. A week or

My mother had cataract surgery about 5 weels ago. A week or two into the surgery she started to complain about fan-like lights in her vision when she looks at carslights during the night or at a lit candle. These are odd projections into her field of vision. She saw her surgeon who told her the lens had slipped "slightly." Added information: she has macular degeneration in both eyes, less so in the operative eye. It's both dry and wet kind. She wants to know if it was something she did which made the lens slip, such as lean her head down to pick something up on the days following surgery.? Any help or insight would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX

Dr. Rick :

Hi. My name isXXXXX and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

First of all, there is nothing that your mother did to make the lens slip. She has nothing to worry about in this regard.

Dr. Rick :

If the "slipped" lens is causing a lot of visual difficulties for her, your mother can discuss with her surgeon having lens placed back in the correct position.

Dr. Rick :

Depending on what caused the lens to slip, this may be a fairly easy thing for the surgeon to do, or it might require fairly complex surgical manipulation.

Dr. Rick :

In any event, it should be possible to restore the lens to its correct position...

Dr. Rick :

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Debra,

I see that you are offline. Please allow me to copy my reply here so that you can more easily read it:

Dr. Rick : Hi. My name isXXXXX and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Dr. Rick : First of all, there is nothing that your mother did to make the lens slip. She has nothing to worry about in this regard.
Dr. Rick : If the "slipped" lens is causing a lot of visual difficulties for her, your mother can discuss with her surgeon having lens placed back in the correct position.
Dr. Rick : Depending on what caused the lens to slip, this may be a fairly easy thing for the surgeon to do, or it might require fairly complex surgical manipulation.
Dr. Rick : In any event, it should be possible to restore the lens to its correct position...
Dr. Rick : Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Dr. Rick,

I am grateful for your quick answer.

Did you notice my follow up comment?

Debra,

I'm sorry, your follow-up question did not come through.

Would you mind re-posting it here?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sure, I commented that my Mom saw a top cataract surgeon from NY and she felt he was a little dismissive about the less than desired results. He proposed a follow up in 7 weeks and she asked to see him in 3 - 4 so she could maybe achieve better results from the surgery. She is disappointed and a little frustrated. Could it be that due to her getting lucentis for 7 years she can't expect good results from cataract surgery?

As a retina surgeon who treats patients on an almost daily basis with lucentis, I can tell you that the displacement of her intraocular lens is not from the shots.

Of course, any loss of vision from her macular degeneration would not be improved by her cataract surgery.

I am sorry to hear that her cataract surgeon is not showing a lot of interest in helping her. I would think that as a well known surgeon he would not want your mother going to another cataract surgeon to have one of his post op problems fixed....

If he continues to blow her off I suggest that she ask for copies of her medical records, including her operative note, and seek another opinion.

Does this make sense to you?

Sorry about the technical glitch with your follow-up question. :)