Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

I had an eye exam which included pupil dilation. Burning and

I had an eye exam which included pupil dilation. Burning and light sensitivity became
worse an hour or so later. Eyes became red,
swollen and very painful. Even 1-2 days later
painful, red,light sensitive. One eye is pulled
down in the outside corner and feels and looks contricted. Other symptoms are improving but still have this pulling down of
eyelid in the corner. What is causing this?

Thank you for the question.I am Dr.A.S.Desai and I look forward to assisting you .

I need a few clarificaions here-

1. Was the eye exam done by an ophthalmologist?

2. Do you have any known history of glaucoma?

3. Was the intraocular pressure checked on he day of your eye exam?

4. How is the vision in the eyes at present?

I look forward to your replies based on which my answer can be formed.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1. Yes, exam done by opthamologist

2. no history of glaucoma

3. Yes, pressure was checked and was good

4. Vision now seems back to normal,eyes still dryer than usual

Hello Kathleen,

Thank you for the reply and additional information.

It is very common for the vision to become blurred following the dilating eye drops. As more light enters through dilated pupils, light sensitivity is a very common problem. But both these effects subside as soon as the effect of the medicine wears out. However it is not very common to experience pain/redness/edema following this eye drop though it is mentioned in the list of side effects of this medicine. It is likely that you have experienced some of the less common side effects of this eye drop which are redness/pain/edema( you have mentioned that one eye is pulled down in the outer corner and appears constricted). Dryness of the eyes is also a known side effect but all these untoward side effects will gradually subside with the use of lubricating eye drops such as OTC preservative free Refresh tears eye drops, 1 drop 4 times a day for 2-3 weeks. If these symptoms persist inspite of using lubricating eye drops for 2 weeks then it is better to call up your ophthalmologist and brief him up about this or even go for a follow up eye exam, if need be.

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist