Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

Good evening, I am a 33 year old female and have a small

Good evening,
I am a 33 year old female and have a small bump on the sclera of my right eye. Could you please tell me how can you tell if this is a pinguecula? Thank you so much.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Can you attach a picture of it?

Hello thanks for responding. I will try to get the picture up.

Doctor DanB : Great. I'll hang out and wait.

Full Size Image

Thank you for waiting. I hope thats clear enough.

Doctor DanB : While it is a bit fuzzy, it sure does look like it could be a pinguecula--very good odds. Would you like some basic info on a pingueculum or do you have any questions about it?

Does it look serious?

Doctor DanB : No, from that picture it doesn't look serious but dies look a little inflamed. I would recommend using artificial tears 4-5x/ day in that eye for the next couple of weeks (dont use the kind that says get-the- red out though).
Doctor DanB : That should say "does look..."

what brand do you recommend?

Doctor DanB : Systane or Refresh
Doctor DanB : Do you have any other questions about this?

should I see a optometrist?

Doctor DanB : I don't think you need to unless the redness gets worse despite the artificial tears.

I am a new RN so I get alittle nervous

Doctor DanB : I can understand that!
Doctor DanB : I don't think this is worrisome though.

What do neoplasms look like?

Doctor DanB : Oh gosh, all sorts of shapes, sizes, textures and colors but even from this picture this doesn't seem very concerning for a neoplasm.

are neoplasms colored?

Doctor DanB : Sometimes yes, sometimes no. I seriously doubt this is anything to worry about but one visit to an ophthalmologist would dispel your fears and very like confirm that it is a pingueculum.

thank you so much

Doctor DanB : My pleasure. Good luck. Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!