Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

Hello Doctor,,I have a question concerning red veins that

Hello Doctor,,
I have a question concerning red veins that I have noticed growing towards the colored part of my eye. I have been wearing these new contacts for two months and I have started that they have become more visual on the white part. I have a appointment with a dr on Monday, but I wanted to know can a dr. dissolve them with a prescription drop? Is this common? Thanks
Hi. My name isXXXXX and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

What you are noticing is most likely a small pinguecula. This is nothing to worry about and, unfortunately, it is nothing that can be "dissolved" by a drop. Removal requires surgery by an ophthalmologist.

Here is some information on this issue:

It sounds like what you have is called a pinguecula. This is a change in the skin around the eye (conjunctiva) from a lifetime's worth of exposure to sunlight. It is not a cancer. It also can become irritated and red at times.
Here is a link to a picture of a small pinguecula. You can find many other pictures by going to Google images:

This is link to a picture of a pterygium. As you can see one of the major differences between a pterygium and a pinguecula is that a pterygium grows across the clear part of your eye (cornea):

If you are bothered by your pinguecula it can be surgically removed fairly easily by your ophthalmologist using local anesthesia. One word of caution however.....they have the nasty habit of growing back, sometimes with a vengeance.

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS