Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

This started today as far as I know... I have a kind of fog

Customer Question

This started today as far as I know... I have a kind of fog passing over my left eye every 15 - 30 seconds. Just enough to make it hazy as it crosses over from the inner eye to the outer. Is this a stress of the eye or is it something more. I have never had this before.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 4 years ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Thank you for the question.I am Dr.A.S.Desai and I look forward to assisting you .

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Customer :

yes

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Is it a tiny spot of fog or is the entire visual field foggy? How is the vision in the left eye once the fog crosses out?

Customer :

it is not a dot... it is a like something passing in front of my eye... passes quickly and then my vision is normal. I never totally am without vision, it is just like a light fogginess.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Do you have known history of hypertension or diabetes? Do you wear glasses or contact lenses?

Customer :

I do wear glasses for many many years. recently have a new prescription. I do have hypertension which is generally controlled by medication and sometimes does get a little high for various reasons. I have newly developed type 2 diabetes which I am working with my doctor. Seems controlled.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Since the vision gets back to normal within seconds, it is unlikely to be due to retinal detachment. The other possibilities are floaters due to posterior vitreous detachment (PVD), transient ischemic attacks (TIA) due spasm of retinal blood vessels or carotid bloodvessels, migraine.

Customer :

definitely not a floater... I do sometimes have floaters. but this is different. like someone waving a hand passed your face except that it is within the eye and moves across very quickly. It does not block my vision. it is just very annoying, like someone waying something in front of you every 15 seconds.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I guess with a known history of hypertension and diabetes type 2, which are two important risk factors for ischemia or reduced blood flow, it is better to consult your ophthalmologist first for a dilated eye exam so as to look for any problem or spasm of retinal blood vessels. The next step would be to get a doppler ultrasound test done for any problem with the carotid blood vessels.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Since you are able to idehtifyvthat it is not a floater, it is better to get the above tests done ad early as possible to identify the cause.

Customer :

ok, thanks for your input

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are most welcome.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Please let me know if you have any more questions or else kindly rate my answer.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It was a pleasure to have assisted you.

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Has the fog disappeared? Are you continuin to get the same symptoms ? If yes, then do go for the check up as suggested and advised.Did my answer help?

Let me know,
[Expert Name]
Dr.A.S.Desai