Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

Apparently I have developed an allergy. My son was given a

Customer Question

Apparently I have developed an allergy. My son was given a Kitten for Christmas and I've suffered from red eyes and puffiness under my eyes every since. I suspected an allergy but had it confirmed today when I went in for an eye exam.

Getting rid of the kitty is not an option so what is the best over the counter medication to relieve the stuffy nose and red, puffy eyes?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 3 years ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. I would continue the oral antihistamine and supplement your allergies with Zaditor or Alaway. Both of these are excellent over-the-counter allergy drop options.
Doctor DanB : Does this make sense? Does this information help address your concerns? Do you have any other questions about this? It appears as though you are not in the chat room currently. I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need. If you would like to ask further questions or clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns when I return to see if you've responded. If your concerns have been resolved... Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!
Customer :

Is one antihistamine better than another? The three kinds I purchased today all have a different active ingredients. Or is it just a matter of finding the one that works best for me?

Doctor DanB : It's a preference thing. Some like Allegra vs Claritin or some like Zyrtec because it tends to be a little better in persons who also have itchy skin.