Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

I think I may have pink eye. There is discharge coming from

I think I may have pink eye. There is discharge coming from my eye and the white area of my eye is pink. There's also a slight soreness to my eye. What should I do?
Do you wear contact lenses? Have you had any surgery / trauma to this eye? Have you had an upper respiratory illness (cold) or stomach flu? What color is the discharge? Is it thick/thin? Is there a lot of discharge (ie are you having to wipe it away constantly)?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi, yes I wear contacts. I also do have a cold right now. The discharge is mainly white, a little yellow. I had crusty as well as thick discharge around my eye when I first woke up this morning but since then haven't really had any.
Okay, given the description you've stated, I suspect that this is likely a viral conjunctivitis (what many people call a pink eye). Knowing that this is caused by a virus, antibiotics don't help with this and the virus usually just has to run it's course. Cool compresses (used as much as you want), artificial tears 4-5x/day and tylenol/ibuprofen as needed will help this as it resolves. However, it can take as much as 1-1.5 weeks for it to fully run its course. In the meantime, though, it's important to remove your contact lenses as long as your eye does not look and feel normal. Complicating this infection with contact lens wear can cause devastating eye problems. If it's been more than a week and your symptoms aren't beginning to improve (or if things get significantly worse before then), then I would recommend seeing your ophthalmologist as soon as possible.
Does this make sense?  Does this information help address your concerns? Do you have any other questions about this?
I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.   If you would like to ask further questions or clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns when I return to see if you've responded. If your concerns have been resolved...
Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers.  Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.  If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied.
My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!