Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

Hello, Im male, 25. For one week and a half Ive been getting

I'm male, 25. For one week and a half I've been getting this dull ache in the back of the head that goes to the top right of the head as well. Sometimes for a few seconds the pain is sharp.
I don't know whether this is related or not, but for the past few days I've been waking up with my eyes tearing (mostly the right eye). I don't feel like there's something in them but they feel irritated. This happened several times during the day as well.
I have a history anxiety and had a MRI all fine 10 months ago.

Do you think it could be something serious?

Thank you

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Thank you for the question.I am Dr.A.S.Desai and I look forward to assisting you .

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Do you have known history of migraine or sinusitis or allergies?

Customer:

Hello

Customer:

I don't

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you experiencing any nasal congestion or block at present?

Customer:

I had minor sinusitis before, but it went away with antibiotics

Customer:

yes

Customer:

exactly

Customer:

I have nasal dropping as well

Customer:

not congestion

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Apart from watering from the eyes, is there any redness ( pinkish appearance) of eyes/ discharge from eyes? Do you feel like rubbing eyes/ itching sensation?

Customer:

no, there is no redness but I do feel some rubbing/itching

Customer:

cannot really describe it - like irritation

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Let me get this right- you are having watering from eyes along with irritation and increased nasal secretions too- right?

Customer:

exactly

Customer:

on top of that, I have some dull pain on the back and/or top right of my head (I'm not sure if it's related or not)

Customer:

also, I should mention it's mostly the right eye

Customer:

the left eye is not watery or irritated

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Sometimes an allergic rhinitis( increased nasal secretion) with or without associated sinusitis ( which can cause headache) can cause a mild block of the opening of the tear ducts in the nose. This can cause excessive watering the eye on that side . Other possibility is that of an allergic conjunctivitis ( but this would have been expected to affect both eyes ).

Customer:

OK - besides this do you think I should investigate more serious scenarios?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I guess you can take symptomatic treatment in the form of Tab.Zyrtec ( cetrizine) 10 mg, once at bedtime for a week along with a nasal decongesant spray ( can help to open up a possibly blocked tear duct opening in the nose).You can take Tab.Acetaminophen, 650 mg twice a day if the headache becomes unbearable.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

No, it does appear to be anything very serious and you can give it a week to subside with the above mentioned symptomatic treatment.

Customer:

thank you very much!

Customer:

the headache is far from unbearable - more like dull

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If symptoms do not show any sign of improvement then it is better to consult your primary care physician for a closer look. Also try putting lubrication eye drops to get relief from the eye irritation. These are available OTC such as Refresh tears eye drops , 1 drop 4 times a day.