Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

I have glaucoma. Recently I told my opthamologist the there

I have glaucoma. Recently I told my opthamologist the there is an irregular gray patch in my right eye when I look at the Amsler grid. He said he thinks it is a combination of my glaucoa and newly forming cataracts. But glaucoma causes vision loss on the periphery, doesn't it? Isn't it macular degeneration that causes vision loss in the center of the visual field?

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Customer: Yes.
Doctor DanB : I tend to agree with you--cataracts don't cause focal visual defects (scotoma) and usually, glaucoma does not cause visual defects so close to the central vision. However, glaucoma CAN still cause visual field defects that are close to the center of vision, it's just not the most common type. Did he say there was no sign of macular degeneration?
Customer: Yes he did. I asked if he sees any sign and he said no. My father had MD and I know that family members are more likely to develop it.
Doctor DanB : You are correct. Family members are more likely to get macular degeneration, but this would be something that he would be able to see if it were there.
Customer: I'm sorry i misunderstood the rating instructions. I thought I had to do it in order to reply to you. Did I stop the session?
Doctor DanB : No, I'm still here. Did you see my reply?
Customer: I asked if he saw any and he said no.
Customer: So I don't need to worry that my doctor is missing something serious? My husband is urging me to change doctors.