Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
25407765

What are the specific requirements to be eligible for LASIK?Can

What are the specific requirements to be eligible for LASIK?

Can you get LASIK without ever having worn glasses or contacts?

Does your vision have to be worse than a certain limit to be eligible for LASIK?

When you get LASIK will your vision appear clear as normal vision would? Or are there any distortions such as with peripheral vision, night vision, near vision?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the question.I am Dr.A.S.Desai and I look forward to assisting you .

It looks like you have posted a duplicate question here. Though your previous query has been answered by an eye expert I assume that you have some more queries which need to be addressed. If you are okay with another expert answering these then I guess I will go ahead and reply to these-

1)What are the specific requirements to be eligible for LASIK?
First of all one needs to have a refractive error proven as the cause of reduced vision. There should not be any other cause responsible for the reduced vision. The corneal thickness should be adequate, the rest of the eye/retina/macula should be normal.The refractive error should have been stable for consecutive 2 years and the individual should be above 18 years of age.

2)Can you get LASIK without ever having worn glasses or contacts?
Yes, it is not necessary for person to have worn glasses or contacts compulsarily. But invariably most individuals would have worn either of these if their vision has been reduced due to a refractive error ( short sightedness known as myopia or long sightedness known as hypermetropia or astigmatism).

3)Does your vision have to be worse than a certain limit to be eligible for LASIK?
No, there is no such criteria. If the vision is below 20/20 and the individual with some refractive error is fit for surgery and is willing to undergo the same, it can be done without a vision criteria.

4)When you get LASIK will your vision appear clear as normal vision would? Or are there any distortions such as with peripheral vision, night vision, near vision?
As with any other surgery even this surgery is known to have its own complications and drawbacks. One needs to be aware that this surgery doesn not assure a visual outcome of 20/20 crystal clear vision in each and every individual. There is always a remote possibility of residual error. Also this surgery is known to be associated with dry eyes /glare which do subside eventually with regular use of lubricating eyedrops.

For small refractive errors , no treatment is given ( for example -0.25 spherical or cylindrical). For errors beyond this glasses or contact lenses can be used. For those who do not wish to wear glasses or contact lenses, lasik can be done.If your complete eye exam reveals astigmatism, then toric contact lenses can give clear vision to your satisfaction. However you can discuss all this in length with your ophthalmologist after the cause of the blurred vision is determined and pinned down to refractive error.

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince