Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

What is each specific requirement to be eligible LASIK surgery?

Assuming I would pay out of pocket.

Are you required to have been wearing contacts or glasses for some period of time to be eligible?

My vision is slowly starting to diminish and I want to know way ahead of time what the requirements are to get the surgery so I don't make any mistakes between now and then and might become ineligible. My career depends heavily on having the sharpest vision possible.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. My name isXXXXX and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

There are really no mistakes you can make that would make you, if you otherwise qualify for lasik, ineligible.\

Dr. Rick :

To know if you are a good candidate for lasik vision correction you would need a complete eye exam that would include measuring your corneal thickness. Many lasik surgeons offer this type of "screening" exam at no charge to you.

Dr. Rick :

So. What is the take home message? There is no need for you to worry about wearing, or not wearing, glasses and contacts or using your eyes in anyway that would cause you, in and of itself, to "loose" your ability to have lasik surgery.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick : Hi. My name isXXXXX and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Dr. Rick : There are really no mistakes you can make that would make you, if you otherwise qualify for lasik, ineligible.\
Dr. Rick : To know if you are a good candidate for lasik vision correction you would need a complete eye exam that would include measuring your corneal thickness. Many lasik surgeons offer this type of "screening" exam at no charge to you.
Dr. Rick : So. What is the take home message? There is no need for you to worry about wearing, or not wearing, glasses and contacts or using your eyes in anyway that would cause you, in and of itself, to "loose" your ability to have lasik surgery.
Dr. Rick : Does this make sense to you?
Dr. Rick :

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

can we have an actual chat or can I only post follow up questions here in this thread?

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Brandon,

I'm sorry. At this point all we can do is "chat" using this Q&A format...but I'm right here....

Ask away :)
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
What else would you like to ask me?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Most my life my vision was sharp enough that I have never needed to consider any correction.

I am trying to ease my fears of losing my cherished eyesight and to understand my options.

I have recently started noticing a slight blur to my vision. Is more obvious when looking straight ahead. I have noticed that I see a slightly more clearly when I look down while my head is pointing up, or up while my head is pointing down. The blur seems about equal for objects at any distance.

The blur is most obvious when reading LED displays or while reading computer text. It is almost like there is a slight blurred outline of the text, and with LED displays it is almost as if there is second digit behind, very slightly off center.

I did a few online acuity tests and it seems I now have somewhere between 20/30 and 20/40 vision in both eyes. I noticed that when I very gently press the top of my eyeballs from outside the eyelid suddenly I can read the 20/20 line crystal clear with both eyes. When I do this the slight blurry outline of computer text and shadow type effect from the LED clock also disappears.

When I took a few astigmatism tests with lines and shapes that were supposed to be identical I could see slightly different shades or thickness on a few, but no distortions.

What do you think is going on here with my vision?

How well would contact lenses correct this?

Please list the specific requirements to be a candidate for LASIK surgery?

I don't have to wear glasses or contacts first for any period of time before I can get LASIK?

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Brandon,

From what you have posted it seems that a few thing may be going on with your vision....

You probably have a bit of astigmatism. You might also have a tear film/blepharitis/dry eye issue.

If you have astigmatism, contact and glasses can help.

You do not have to wear glasses or contacts for any given amount of time prior to lasik.

Here is a very good web page that discusses all the requirements for lasik surgery:

http://www.qualsight.com/lasik-candidates

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest