Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

i have a dry flaky red patch on my eye-lid - it just appeared

i have a dry flaky red patch on my eye-lid - it just appeared one day about a month ago and has not gone away. The skin on the patch gets flaky but once the skin comes off, the cycle repeats itself. I've been putting tea tree oil on the spot for the last few days but I am not seeing any improvement. What could this be?
Is this spot itchy? Is there any swelling associated with it? If so, is the swelling boggy, like it was filled with fluid or is it more thick and hard swelling?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It's not itchy or swollen - just dry & then the skin becomes raw when the dry skin flakes off. It's my left eye and the patch is smaller than a dime and about a 1/4 inch up from my tear duct on my lid.
I would recommend using some Eucerin lotion on that patch several times per day. Also, smearing some 1% hydrocortisone ointment on that patch twice daily (before the lotion if you're going to do it at the same time) for a couple of weeks if need be. Though if you're diligent with both of these treatments and its still not better after two weeks, then you're likely going to need to see your ophthalmologist to get a prescription strength steroid.
Does this make sense? Does this information help address your concerns? Do you have any other questions about this?
I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need. If you would like to ask further questions or clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns when I return to see if you've responded. If your concerns have been resolved...
Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied.
My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!