Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
25407765

Hi Doctor Im 35 and I have floaters (little black speck,

Hi Doctor
I'm 35 and I have floaters (little black speck, around three I think) that have little web like trails after them in my left eye. I had one in 2004 and now others have developed and now when looking into the sky or at white paper, I can see tiny flashers darting everywhere too. I have no pain in either eye, swelling or dryness. I have developed more tiny red blood vessels in both eyes too and think this may have been caused by bungy jumping several years ago, they have not gone away. I also have a pinguecula in both corners of my eyes (small and slighty yellow), I think from sun damage.

Should I go and see an opthamologist as my Dr already told me there is nothing they can do about floaters. I am a yoga teacher and whilst researching these things, found people said I shouldn't do headstands or other inversions if you suffer from eye conditions like this. This is a huge problem for me as I really enjoy these positions and will not be able to teach them anymore!
What can I do about the flashers and blood vessels, I am a little bit worried!
Many thanks for your help :)
Nicole
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 1 year ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello Nicole, Thank you for the question.I am Dr.A.S.Desai and I look forward to assisting you .

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The floaters and occasional flashes are most likely to be due to changes in the vitreous since you have not mentioned anything regarding reduced vision in either of the eyes.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Posterior vitreous detachment(PVD) is one of the most common conditions which presents with floaters and flashes of light.

Customer:

I can chat now Dr. The flashers are really tiny and hardly noticeable unless I look at white things or the sky, just more annoying than anything!

Dr. A.S. Desai :

In PVD the thick gel at the back of the eye( called vitreous) gets detached from its surrounding retina . This results in retinal traction which results in the symptom of flashes of light and includes color distortion. Flashes of light may not be prominent in some individuals. Once the vitreous gets detached completely , it may form clumps or strands and cause symptom of floaters such as dark spots, cobweb or thread like strands in the visual field. More often it is not a serious issue and does not require any specific treatment. A routine retina examination needs to be done by an ophthalmologist just to check for the intactness of the retina and to look for any peripheral retinal tears or holes, which if found, can be sealed by lasers.

The only concern is that of a remote possibility of a retinal tear extending into a frank retinal detachment, which is characterised by symptoms of sudden increase of flashes or floaters and a curtain or veil falling in the field of vision. This requires urgent treatment by a retinal specialist. This is not a common feature and is more predisposed in myopic and diabetic individuals. You do not seem to be having any of these acute symptoms, so as of now a routine eye exam should suffice.

PVD can occur suddenly at anytime and is a diagnosis of exclusion and does not show any signs as such on eye examination. What you would need at this stage is a routine eye exam ( not an emergency) to look at the back of the eye. If PVD is confirmed then there is nothing much to be done. It would be best to ignore the floaters after that. Some floaters tend to drift out of visual field too.

Customer:

My vision is fine but I have also noticed in the left eye when looking down, a bit of fuzziness or white light

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I don't think that any of the yoga postures could do any harm to your eyes.

Customer:

So I can still do headstand and not worry? Also do you know if I can get rid of the tiny blood vessels that have come up or am I stuck with them?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The prominent blood vessels could have been due to chronic eye strain/dry eyes/ inflammed pinguecula. I guess you could benefit with regular use of lubricating eye drops such as Refresh tears eye drops, 1 drop 4 times a day. You can avoid exposur eof eyes to sunlight/UV radiation by using good sunglasses.

Customer:

I always wear sunglasses as I am Australian, i guess that is where all the damage has come from. I will make an appointment to get an eye check up.

Customer:

Thank you Dr! You have put my mind at ease now.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Glad to have assisted you !

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince