Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

This Question is for ANY DOCTOR-not eye doctors

I just sprayed some Vicks Nasal Spray into my nose- the ingredients listed are: Oxymetazoline HCI 0.05%, Acesulfame Potassium, Aloe Vera, Benzalkonium Chloride, Chlorhexidine Gluconate, Citric Acid, Disodium EDTA, Fragrance, Purified Water, Sodium Citrate, Sodium Hydroxide, Sorbitol, Tyloxapol I want to know if it is okay for me to also take a Pseudoephedrine tablet that is 30mg? The Vicks helped with my nose, but I am still feeling pressure behind and above my eyes. I already tried taking a hot bath/shower and breathing steam. Also, I've been having bad sinus problems lately and have been taking 1-3 Pseudoephedrine tablets per day. Is there any adverse effects to taking this medication daily for a while? It seems to be the only thing that provides any amount of relief.

Thank you for the question.I am Dr.A.S.Desai and I look forward to assisting you .

The pressure sensation behind and around the eyes is most likely to be due to the sinusitis. It is alright for you to take tablet pseudoephedrine, 30 mg, twice a day (can be taken 4 times a day if severe nasal congestion is there).It is better to continue with the steam inhalation in adfition to he medicines as it helps in giving symptomaic relief from the congestion.There are adverse effects of this medicine suh as nausea, vomiting,anxiety, sleeplessness, rise in blood pressure, increased pulse and so on. If you continue to have nasal congestion/headache/develope fever, it is better to consult your physician for a closer look and to know whether a short course of antibiotics is needed along with he decongesants.

Please reply if you any further information or else kindly leave your rating for this answer.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Thank you and best wishes.