Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

4 year old grandsons digital camera photos show white eye

4 year old grandson's digital camera photos show white eye on his right eye, other eye rarely white but red reflection. He gets occasional nosebleeds. Some photos show both eyes red, some photos are normal, but 40% of photos show white eye. Should he see a specialist?

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Customer:

Yes

Customer:

yes I can chat

Doctor DanB :

This is most often seen because of the way the light from the flash catches the retina and reflects off of it; this is especially true when the pupil looks white in one picture and then is red in another contemporary picture. However...

However, of the half dozen or so things that could cause a white pupil, the most dreaded and feared cause is retinoblastoma, a childhood cancer of the eye which is universally fatal if not treated. This is rats, but because of it's devastating effects on the child, a dilated eye exam needs to be fine by an ophthalmologist to rule this out. Dies this make sense?
Customer:

Dr. Dan, I am available and waiting.

Doctor DanB :

Did you see my response?

Customer:

Yes, just found it, sorry. Would the pediatrician be able to make this diagnosis or would it have to be a specialist? Is there any association with the nosebleeds? He blinks a lot when watching t.v.

Doctor DanB :

No, this needs to be seen by an ophthalmologist only--no pediatricians or optometrists should be answering this question. I would not expect this to be associated with nosebleeds, no. Blinking a lot while watching tv is usually nothing concerning, usually just a little bit of dry and irritated eyes, but the ophthalmologist would be able to assess for that as well. Do you have any other questions about this?

Customer:

No, thank you, XXXXX XXXXX with you and hope it is nothing but should be checked out by a specialist to be sure. thank you.

Doctor DanB : You're welcome. Good luck. Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!