Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

About LASIK striae complication

Customer Question

I had lasik 11 days ago, muy right eye visión is perfect but my left eye had some cornea striae after the procedure which the doctor had to correct it 8 days after the surgery, today I saw my doctor again and said that the striaes are gone, but I still have a poor vision in my left eye, one of my questions is, how long for my left eye to gain a good vision cause I see very poor with it. And my second question is that I'm a pot smoker and would really like to know when should be able to smoke some pot again knowing that I had the straie complication.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 1 year ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Customer: Yes I am
Doctor DanB : If the striae complication has been dealt with, then there really should not be any lag time is the restoration of the vision. If your vision is still quite poor in this eye, then I would talk to your doctor about having a repeat wavescan to determine if there are abnormalities in the cornea that were not treated with the initial laser. There are a host of different reasons why someone could have poor vision after this type of surgery. Unfortunately without being able to examine you I have no way of knowing what the reason is. For this reason I would query your ophthalmologist sooner rather than later to see if a revision procedure is to happen. Does this make sense?
Customer: I've been asking the doctor cause it seemed weird to me
Doctor DanB : And what did he say?
Customer: And I see pretty blur with my left eye
Customer: He tells me just to be patient
Customer: And that my vision will be restored
Customer: In some days
Doctor DanB : Is he having you do certain drops and in what frequency?
Customer: Yes
Customer: Vigadexa and systane
Customer: He placed a contact lens last Friday after he made the correction in my left eye to remove the striae
Customer: And I saw a little bit better
Customer: But today when he told me to removed it I saw pretty blurry again
Doctor DanB : How often are you using them?
Customer: He said it was caused to an edema on my eye due to the correction and the contact lens
Customer: He told me to use vigadexa 2 or 3 times a day and the systane 3 or 4 times a day
Customer: My next appointment with him is next Wednesday and he just told me to be patient that every thing was al right but I'm pretty concerned cause I'm still seeing pretty blurry
Doctor DanB : Okay, if there has been significant edema, then this can take up to a couple of weeks to fully resolve. In that case he is right, and it can take several days for it to improve slowly but progressively. I would make sure to use the Systane and Vigamox drops as directed because the corneal surface needs to be well treated for the vision to return.
Doctor DanB : Do you have any other questions about this?
Customer: Yes what do u mean about significant edema, how can I know that my edema is significant
Doctor DanB : By your vision being really poor.
Customer: But would I be able to see the edema?
Doctor DanB : Not at all. You would just have blurry and hazy vision from it.
Customer: So my vision should be restoring within the next couple weeks?
Doctor DanB : That would be my estimation, knowing these details.
Customer: Is it normal to have this edema after the correction and after 3 days of using the contact?
Doctor DanB : Yes, I would expect to see corneal edema after having to correct for striae.
Customer: Even when you said that if he corrected the striae I shouldn't have any vision problems on my eye?
Doctor DanB : That's presuming there wasn't any edema. If the striae were mild I wouldn't expect significant edema. But based on what you're telling me of your vision, I assume that either the striae were pretty significant or that there was significant manipulation of the corbea necessary to alleviate them.
Customer: He told me that there were a lot of striae but he removed wall of them except one but that would affect my vision since he says that the striae left wasn't in my vision angle
Customer: I mean he said that wouldn't affect
Customer: The remaining one wouldn't affect my vision since it was not on my vision angle
Doctor DanB : Okay. That makes sense. I think patience, time, and takingbthisecdrops are about all there is left for you to do.
Doctor DanB : Very likely not.
Customer: I should take the, as he told me or should I take more or less?
Doctor DanB : I would take both as directed.
Customer: Cause I do like to smoke but I haven't done it since the procedure
Customer: My last question is, you knowing all of this when should I be able to smoke marijuana again?
Doctor DanB : I would wait until your vision has been restored. MJ can affect your vision and if I were you I wouldn't anything mucking up the picture.
Customer: So based on what uve said that my vision on my left eye should be restored win next couple of weeks could I smoke by the 28 of this month? Or should I wait longer?
Doctor DanB : Assuming your vision is restored by then you may consider smoking again but then again, I'm a doctor...I'm not supposed to advise you to smoke it at all :)
Customer: Last week I was using the drops like every 2 hours or so, could that affect on something?
Doctor DanB : Likely it hasn't hurt anything.
Customer: My vision in my right eye is pretty good now perfect I'd say, I that would have been the cause for my left eye... How long would you advise even though ur a doctor to smoke mj again?
Customer: If that would been the same for my left eye I mean
Doctor DanB : Like I said before, I would wait until your vision problems clear up, which I would imagine should be mostly on their way after a couple of weeks, but humans are not like computers--every person is different and most people's eyes don't follow the same script.
Customer: Ima soccer player how long would u advise to return to it knowing all of this
Customer: I mean to play again
Doctor DanB : Again, I would advise waiting the same timeframe as for the MJ
Customer: All ready then
Customer: I guess that clears up all of my questions
Customer: I'm a very worried person
Customer: And I got really worried specially today after I removed the contact and saw even worse
Customer: But I guess I'll wait for the edema to go away and hope everything turn rights
Doctor DanB : I think it will just take some patience. Good luck. I hope this has been helpful. Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!
Customer: Thanks a lot I'm very pleased and a lot less concerned now. I'll just be more patient and wait for the next appointment with my doctor. Thanks a lot uve been very helpful.
Doctor DanB : You're welcome. Good luck. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied.
Customer: Could smoking have caused the striae ?
Customer: Cause I did smoke pot a day after surgery
Doctor DanB : It is unlikely.
Customer: And what does mj affects then? Healing process?
Doctor DanB : It can cause pressure changes in the eye, usually pressure lowering. MJ is not known to alter the healing process but I wouldn't rule it out.
Customer: So can u explain to me why shouldn't I do it and what could cause if I did it? Not that I'm going to do it but I wanna know what affects
Doctor DanB : For the same reasons I just mentioned. It can cause pressure changes in the eye, which may interfere with edema resolving. It very well may likely cause other changes to the eye that are not well-documented or understood, but that may affect healing as well.
Customer: Ok then thanks alot
Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology