Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince

I have noticed a change in my vision lately and am trying to

I have noticed a change in my vision lately and am trying to determine what is going on and what to do about it, as I have little understanding of eye problems. I am 31 years old and a software engineer so vision is extremely important for my career.

Most of my life I have had 20/20 vision but lately I have noticed a slight decrease in sharpness of everything but near objects. I don't know if it has been a slow process or a more recent development as I did not really notice until the past few weeks when I have been spending more time outdoors.

Basically the closer I am to an object the more clearly I can see it, but my eyes seem to tire more easily when focusing on near objects. However I can still see objects at a distance pretty clearly, such as trees, just not as much detail as before. I can read standard print sizes up to about 2-3 feet away but beyond that it becomes too blurry to read comfortably. The blurriness is slightly worse with digital displays or computers as opposed to printed text.

I also have noticed my vision will fluctuate throughout the day, and sometimes will seem slightly better on certain days, not by a lot but noticeable. Overall there seems to have been a decline in my visual sharpness though, more obviously with small or distant objects, that improves the closer they are.

What do you think is going on with my vision? Does this sound like a temporary thing such as eye strain from excessive computer work, lack of sleep, or other? Or is this more serious such as vision loss due to aging or disease?

Were I to get glasses or contacts would they likely correct my vision to 20/20 and I would see perfectly at any distance like I used to?

Would glasses/contacts that correct far vision also improve near vision, since my near vision is already good enough?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the question.I am Dr.A.S.Desai and I look forward to assisting you .

There could be a few reasons for the blurred vision ( distance being worse than the near) such as dry eyes ( since there is a fluctuation of vision throughout the day , also being good at times). Initially it is better to get the eyes examined so as to know whether the vision in both the eyes is 20/20 for distance at present and N6 for near. Once it is confirmed that the vision as such is normal then the blurring of vision can be attributed to dry eyes ( for which you can use OTC lubricating eye drops such as Refresh tears eye drops , 1 drop 4 times a day).

In case the distance vision is not 20/20 in both eyes then the cause has to be detected with further eye tests. Refractive errors( short sightedness or long sightedness) are unlikely to crop up at your age ( they present very early in life within the first decade). Since you have had 20/20 vision in the past it is unlikely that you have any refractive error. Other tests include examination of the eye on the slit lamp to detect any errors in the front part of the eye such as the cornea/uvea followed by the fundus exam ( dilated eye exam to detect problems in the back part of the eye). A routine blood sugar test should also be done to rule out fluctuating blood sugar levels ( as changing levels can affect the vision directly- increased levels cause blurring of vision). So I guess the exact cause for the blurring can be detected with these set of tests- vision test, slit lamp exam, fundus exam and routine blood sugar levels. It is better to consult an eye doctor for the above( as all these can be done at the same visit).

If you need more help, please reply back to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the long detailed response. I have some follow up questions.

I certainly know that I no longer have 20/20 in either eye because I have checked eye charts and cannot see the 20/20 line at all any more. I can read some of the letters in the line above but they are still blurry. So my vision seems between 20/30 and 20/40 for both eyes.

Whether this is a permanent condition or not it is clear that my distance vision is worse than my near vision. The closer I am to anything the more clearly I can see it.

If it were permanent vision loss, if I were I to get glasses or contacts would they correct my vision to 20/20 and I would see perfectly at any distance like I used to?

Would glasses/contacts that correct far vision also improve near vision, since my near vision is already good?

Hello Brandon,

Thank you for the positive rating.

Since you are certain about the reduced distance vision in both eyes, I feel that getting the eyes examined in detail by an ophthalmologist would be the best solution. It should not be a permanent problem but unless the exact diagnosis is established it cannot be told whether glasses would help or not ( but I doubt that you have any refractive error now since you have enjoyed good vision until recently).

Best wishes and regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My questions are more to ease my worries if this is permanent and for general knowledge since eventually vision loss will be permanent.

I am trying to figure out information online before I see an eye doctor so I know more what to expect and can ask better informed questions to find the best solution.

Please answer each of my following questions:

If it were nearsightedness, if I were I to get glasses or contacts would they correct my vision to 20/20 and I would see perfectly at any distance like I used to?

Would glasses/contacts that correct poor far vision also improve near vision, since my near vision is already good?

I did take 2 online tests for astigmatism and did not pass so it is possible that mild astigmatism could be the cause.

If it is astigmatism can glasses or contacts correct my vision to 20/20 at distance and still have clear near vision?

If you were to be near sighted, then glasses or contacts can correct your distance and near vision together. Yes, there is a possibility of astigmatism here amd even that can be corrected wih glasses or contacts to 20/20 vision for distance and N6 for near.Below 40 years , correction of distance vision alone is sufficient as near vision remains good (as long as the other parts of the eye are normal).It is only after 40 years when presbyopia sets in , ner vision begins to recede and needs to be corrected as well. I hope that answers to all your queries.
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you very much for answering each question.

I have an unlimited subscription so I have a few more questions. I approved 2 answers already so please answer each question below.

From what I have read, contacts offer far greater peripheral vision than glasses because they cover the entire lens of the eye. Is this true?

Were I to get contacts would my vision seem to be 20/20 as if I was not even wearing corrective lenses?

Another hint that might help figure out what is going on. Recently when I was rubbing my eyes I noticed that when I very gently touch the top of my eyeballs through my eyelids the sharpness of everything increases, near or far. When I do this while viewing an eye chart my vision improves from barely being able to read the 20/30 line to seeing the 20/20 line perfectly clear.

I have also noticed a similar but weaker improvement in sharpness when I tilt my head down and look up, tilt my head up and look down, point my head to left and look right, or point my head to the right and look left. When looking straight ahead I have the least sharpness.

I also noticed an interesting effect when looking at a digital LED clock. When I look at it normally it seems as if there is a dimmer second digit right behind it slightly off center. When I gently press above my eyeballs this second digit disappears.

Even though the closer I hold an object the more clear it becomes, in general an object at any distance becomes more clear when I gently press my eyeballs or change viewing angle.

Do these above effects seem like any clues to help determine what is going on with my vision?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Did you receive my followup questions from 7:01pm PST?

Yes, I have received your post and will reply shortly. I am presently at my hospital (I am 10 hours ahead in time) and will be free to reply in another 45 minutes or so.Kindly bear with me.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok thanks for letting me know.

Please answer my questions when you are able.

I also wanted to add one more thing that could be related. I have noticed lately that I have been waking up having slept on one eye or the other and it will appear bloodshot and even more blurry for a while. I can't remember how long this has been going on but could this continual sleeping on my eyes be contributing or even causing these blurred vision issues?

Such as maybe the frequent pressure of sleeping on my eyes could affect the shape or cause a temporary injury?

Please answer my other questions first though and read the hints that I posted that might help determine what is going on.

Thank you again for your detailed answers.

Your inputs are very helpful and I must say that you are very observant. Contacts are certainly better as far as the field of vision is concerned and are the preferred choice except that they need more care and hygiene than spectacles.The Contacts would bring your vision to 20/20 if the reduced vision is due to a refractive error such as astigmatism in your case. Change in shape of the eyeball does cause refractive error but exact type of error can only be told after the eye exam. Doubling of images which clear up when brought closer could most likely to be due to astigmatism. Toric contact lenses can be used in such case.The blurring of vision may not be related to the sleeping posture. I would recommenda detailed examination of the extraocular muscles and lid muscles since you have noiced Change in images with respect to the eye position. Though this possibility seems unlikely in your caee, his exam is jut to verify the well unctioning of the muscles. The bloodshot appearance of the eyes could be due to associated dry eyes.You can try putting lubricating eye drops euch as Refresh tears eyedrops, 1 drop 4 times a day.Underlying blephariis or meibomitis (inflammation of meibomian glands) could contribute to the occurance of dry eyes. The lubricating eyedrops will help.

Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist