Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

This morning I suddenly had double vision. It lasted for approximately

This morning I suddenly had double vision. It lasted for approximately 2 minutes. Each eye separately was fine but together it was as if they were two completely different visions.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Do you have any drooping of your eyelid, difficulty walking, talking, swallowing? Has this ever happened before ? Any weakness or numbness ?
Customer: None of the above. Very healthy active. Played nine holes of golf this afternoon. I had to hold on to walk during the brief episode of double vision.
Doctor DanB : When was the last time you had a ceye, dilated eye examination ?
Customer: May 2013
Customer: When will he be back?
Customer: When will he return?
Doctor DanB : I'm here. Was that an ophthalmogist or optometrist who did that exam ?
Customer: My regular eye Dr.
Customer: I was worried I was having a stroke
Doctor DanB : Has this ever happened before?
Customer: No
Doctor DanB : Is your eye doctor an ophthalmologist or optometrist?
Customer: Optometrist
Customer: I only have reading glasses. Legally drive without
Doctor DanB : Okay. While I'm sure your regular eye doctor is a good eye doctor, I would recommend seeing an ophthalmologist. Let me elaborate...
Doctor DanB : if the double vision wasn't in any one eye, but only present when both eyes are open together then this would be much more serious and could indicate a problem in the brain or blood vessels which may need need more attention and concern paid to it. It sounds as though this was a sudden onset of double vision and you've never had any issues with the eyes whatsoever; I think it would be important to have an evaluation by your ophthalmologist to determine if other things like mini-strokes in the nerves that move the muscles of the eyes or in the brain, or intracranial masses or increased intracranial pressure are causing this.
Customer: I am much more concerned that it was a sign of a stroke not an eye problem
Doctor DanB : Yes, this could represent an almost stroke (TIA) but because most doctors besides an ophthalmologist are not going to be able to sort out whether this has been an eye event or a neurological event, I would start with an ophthalmologist who is an MD specializing in the medical and surgical diseases of the eye as they relate to the entire body.
Doctor DanB : Do you have any other questions about this?
Customer: I don't know a Ophthalmologist that would see me in the near future. Ours in Greenwich gets booked up months in advance. Should I go to an emergency room?
Doctor DanB : That would likely then be the most expeditious means of seeing an ophthalmologist. You might consider calling the ER to see if they have an ophthalmologist that comes into see emergencies first though.
Customer: Is this an emergency?
Doctor DanB : Without other signs of a stroke and with this being a quick and intermittent episode leaving no deficits, some would not consider this an emergency. As far as myself, while I don't think this needs to drive you into the ER this second, I do think it warrants an ophthalmologist workup within the next week or so and if you are sure that can't be accomplished otherwise then it may be the best option.
Customer: Ok thanks
Doctor DanB : Youre welcome. Good luck. Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!