Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

Hello, I woke up yesterday with th white my right eye not bloodshot

Hello, I woke up yesterday with th white my right eye not bloodshot but having the 'bloody' look. I have no pain and there does not appear to b any swelling. I went to the local pharmacist in Italy (where I am vacationing). She had me buy Heparin eye drops- 1 drop twice a day, which I did yesterday and today.
It is not getting any better at all. I am concerned because I am taking a flight back to the US today and I want to know if I should take any precautions, etc.?

Dr. Tom : Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your question. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom
Hi. My name isXXXXX and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

I see that your expert has opted out and is no longer available to assist you.

It sounds like you have experienced a sub conjunctival hemorrhage, a common event that occurs to many people.
In the vast majority of cases, sub conjunctival hemorrhage is nothing to worry about. It is usually not a sign of any serious condition but rather is just a small broken blood vessel in the conjunctiva that looks much worse than it really is.

No treatment is necessary. Think of a subconjunctival hemorrhage as a bruise. The reason it looks so red (some people say it looks like a piece of raw meat) is that the skin on your eye is very thin so the underlying blood shows through easily. On your arm, for instance, a bruise looks blue/purple because the overlying skin is thick, blocking the red color of the blood.

Like a bruise elsewhere a subconjunctival hemorrhage will slowly go away over the course of a couple of weeks. It may spread around the globe some and change colors as it clears. This is nothing to be concerned about.

So. What is the take home message? Enjoy your flight. You are OK to travel.

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you for your response.

unfortunately, it came a bit late and i had to seek advice elsewhere.

in any case, your advice was right on track and concurs with what i heard.

thanks again

My Pleasure.

Sorry for the delay. I am on a 1,800 mile road trip to my oldest son's HS graduation so I've not been online much lately.

Have a good day and let me know if there is anything else I can do for you in the future.