Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

swollen under eyelid

Hi Dr Rick,  I spent the whole night with strong pain on the left side of my face, from the forehead to the upper teeth (as if they all were hurting!). And this morning I understood why: my left eye has some sort of inflammation, there is a red and swollen lump UNDER the eye (below the lower eyelid). The eye is watering constantly and it hurts a bit too (jaw still hurting). My left ear also hurts a little at times. Maybe it is important to say that 2 years ago I had a chalazion, but that was on the upper lid. Since then the eye waters frequently, especially when it's cold outside. I have the feeling some duct stayed "clogged" . However now the swelling is under the eye, though the watering is the same as with the chalazion. And the pain in face is quite intense. Do I need antibiotics? I cant go to a doctor until monday or tuesday since I am abroad in france and I live in luxembourg. I just took an ibuprofen 400 for the pain. Thank you in advance. Best regards, XXXXX XXXXX

Hi, I'm Camille and I am a Moderator for this topic. I sent your requested professional a message to follow up with you here, when they are back online.

If I can help further, please let me know. Thank you for your continued patience.

Hi. My name isXXXXX and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Flavia,

The lump under your eye may be a chalazion like you had on your upper lid in the past. That being said, chalazions do not cause the amount of facial/teeth pain that you are experiencing.

Given the severe pain, I suggest you consult with a doctor today....I am sure that they have them in Luxembourg :)

My concern, given the severe pain you are in, is that you may have facial cellulitis, which can be very severe. Antibiotics are the treatment of choice for cellulitis and, if severe enough, can require treatment in the hospital :(

So. What is the take home message? Do not delay -- seek medical assistance today.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

PS: Sorry it took me so long to get back to you -- I am traveling by car to a family function 1,800 miles from home..
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello again, dr Rick, i'm sorry it took me long to reply but i am undergoing a cure (thermal springs) for my herniated disks here in france and was out all afternoon. Thank you for your reply and for your concern. I must say the ibuprofen helped a lot and the pain is gone now, though the lump is still there, but it is giving me more itching than pain. Having had the hot spring waters on my face seems to have helped, is that possible? I feel the same as last time so I think it is again a chalazion. It must be said that I suffer from fibromyalgia which magnifies all pains, maybe that is why it was so bad in the night and this morning? Is there anything else I can do apart from more ibuprofen when the pain comes back until I go see my trusted eye doctor on monday? Thabks again!

Yes. It is very possible that the hot springs water could be helping, especially since it is in France :)

I would continue with the hot springs soaking and Ibuprofen and, since that is helping, I think you will be OK until you see your eye doctor tomorrow.

My son graduated HS yesterday -- they grow up so fast :)

Take care and let me know how things turn out tomorrow.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest