Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

Every January, I go for my complete physical examination.

Customer Question

Every January, I go for my complete physical examination. Every year I'm excellent. I only take medication for glaucoma, Timolol and Lantropost eye drops. This past January 2013, when I went for my physical examination, my doctor found a slight murmur and sent me for an echo. It showed a mild mitral valve leak. It blew my mind because I do everything right. I exercise every day and also walk. I eat a healthy diet, more fish and chicken and veggies & fruit. Red meat one a month. I can't beleive that my doctor told me this. Can the beta blockers that I use Timolol cause this. I am freaking out bigtime over this. My doctor told me not to worry, but how could I not worry. This is making me very depressed. I was alway a very happy person,, now I'm, a basket case. I also have an identical twin sister. We have the exact DNAs, she also has glaucoma, but her optomologist has her only on lumina 0.01%. I forgot to mention that my total cholesterol is 187, triglyserides 64, HDL 72 and LDL 101. Dr. please answer my question ASAP. I have an appointment with my othomoligist on June 13, and I'm going to mention it to him.

Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 3 years ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Doctor DanB : The timolol you take doesn't cause cardiac valvular problems. The only affect the timolol may have on the heart is some decrease in the heart rate. It doesn't affect the valves of the heart. I suspect this is something that was going to happen to you regardless--even though you seem to lead a healthy life. Does that make
Doctor DanB : Does this information help address your concerns? Do you have any other questions about this? It appears as though you are not in the chat room currently. I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need. If you would like to ask further questions or clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns when I return to see if you've responded. If your concerns have been resolved... Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!