Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

DR. RICK ONLY-: Do you have any further advice for

DR. RICK ONLY-:
Do you have any further advice for
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. My name isXXXXX and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

How are things doing since your shot?

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. I will switch to Q&A format. This format works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Madeleine,

My wife and I are about to sit down and watch Sunday's episode of Game of Thrones --which we missed last night.

Your entire post did not come through...what can I help you with this evening?

I should be back in about an hour and a half or so....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I hope you 2 enjoyed the Show!!!!

What i wanted to know was do you have any further advice for me to try "at home" w/the shoulder....it is still pretty painful-'am "down" to 1 Voltaren a day, to help not only THAT, but w/a little residual pain from the disc/stenosis issue(which APPEARS,at present to have actually IMPROVED since the epidural i had about 3 wks. ago)?Running hot water on shoulder during my daily AM shower on it helps a LOT, but i would become a Prune if i stayed THERE all day....Would a Bath before sleep help?ANYTHING you could tell me would be VERY helpful,even if it is "just" some encouragement....Next shot there cannot be 'til Aug.,acording to Surgeon. THANX!!!!

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
The episode was awesome! Of course, I've read all 5 books so I kinda know what is gonna happen...but they are doing a great job on the series.

Concerning the shoulder pain, you could try a heating pad when you are sitting still, like at a computer etc, and some icy/hot lotion when you are up and about.

A bath before bedtime sounds good, as does a heating pad that has an auto-off function for use in bed sound helpful.

Unfortunately, as you have found out, there is no good solution to this complex problem :(

Take care and have a good evening.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Dr. Rick-:

You asked about my shot--i assume it was the epidural for my thigh pain....I'd forgotten to respond--

It REALLY helped!! Of course, the Voltaren is also partially responsible as well....

Now i am only taking 1--the shoulder pain has increased.I am using your advise re-heating pad;it is ON me as i type.

Too bad it isn't PORTABLE:who wants to sit around all day????

Just sent an eMail to Ortho re-my pain-wonder what HE will come up with:if anything!

Hope all is well and that you are NOT overworking(i assume your partner has returned from his "political family Situation??")!!!

Caringly,

Madeleine

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Madeleine,

They do have those hot packs that get warm from a chemical reaction and many of them have adhesive to stick on body parts so you can go about your business while you work. You might try one of those :)

I've actually made my (young and hungry) partner take over the practice as I have traveled 1,800 miles by car to see my oldest son graduate from HS yesterday -- they grow up so fast :)

That is why I've not been online much the last few days.

I hope you feel better soon. Take care and stay in touch.

Dr Rick
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Dr. Rick-:

Does this means you are retiring--or that you are going to open your own practice? let me know!

1,800 miles is so LONG/MUCH!! However, it must have been wonderful to see your son graduate-i have no kids, so i hav never had that joy....my twin brother's 2 girls graduated from HS; i saw THAT, but now, 1 graduated early from college, so i never got to see THAT (and she is now in med School, so who knows how long THAT will be!!), and the other just graduated from Cornell,but we were visiting my husband's sister, so i missed THAT!

I will try the heat patches--but i am DYING for a shot!!

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Madeleine,

No. I added this young retina surgeon so I could work less when I wanted to...not gonna retire for a long time yet -- Got kids heading toward College lol!

I hope your Brothers girl in Medical doesn't graduate soon and become your "go to doctor"....leaving me out in the rain :(

What year is she in Medical school?

Have a good day.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No worries--you will be my "Go To Guy" for many years: should you choose to accept this dubiously royal title!!

She is finishing her 2nd year--and is still not sure what she will specialize in....

I asked the surgeon who 'did' my hip-and gave me Shot #1 for my shoulder pain-about the shoulder, and he says i should be re-evaluated and perhaps have an MRI of the shoulder. I hear crunching sounds when i move it-what does that mean?

What is an MRI like when one gets one for the shoulder? Creepy?

Thanx!

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Crunching sounds when you move your shoulder means that you should not move your shoulder lol!

As long as it doesn't hurt, try not to listen.

I've got 15 hours of driving until I get home...gonna try to make it in one go. Wish me luck.

No. MRI of the shoulder is easy. Ask for ear plugs as the machine gets a bit loud.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Dr. Rick-:

'Hope you are home safe and sound by now--may i be the 1st (or second, if your wife's already done it!) ro welcome you home?

I had Shot #2 from my Surgeon--'found out i have a bone spur(it looks small, tho'-)and arthritis in my shoulder, so the shot went through the FRONT of shoulder this time....Can you tell me anything about this kind of shot?It supposedly targets the area more precisely--How long 'til i feel relief?Or....max relief?

Thigh discomfort has returned when i walk, but i am going to try to put off another epidural until it gets really bad, which it MAY.....hopefully, not too soon-bec.i DO have that annoying disk stickin' into some nerve or another,so i guess the best i can do is MANAGE it???? Any further thoughts?

Thanks--you are STILL my Go-To Guy!!

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Hi.

Yup. 3,817 miles round trip....I'm getting too old for this much driving :(

That is a very good approach to get the shot in the right spot when there are bone spurs (even small ones) in the way.

Depending on what "cocktail" your doc used, you should start feeling better right away or after 2 or 3 days.

I think you are in excellent hands.

As to further thoughts, I think you should go see the new Superman movie tomorrow lol!

Take care and stay out of trouble.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD