Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

hi, i am a 23 year old female and i have been having problems with my eyes. It started by

Customer Question

hi,
i am a 23 year old female and i have been having problems with my eyes. It started by having some pain behind the eye accompanied by a headache. I no longer have the pain but for the past 5 months or more everyday my eyes have been red and bloodshot. I have been to multiple doctors and optometrists, some have said its allergies some have said dry eyes and some have said its both. I even went to an eye specialist and she said absolutely nothing is wrong. Yet my eyes are still red every single day. I never used to have this problem they were always white and bright. now i cant even look people in the eyes. I just want help and a reason behind this problem!! i also have used clear eyes redness drops a lot in my life and am just assuming thats the cause. I also have a photo if i can send it to you somehow. thankyou
Category: Eye
Expert:  eyesight2020 replied 1 year ago.

Customer:

Hello,I see you are offline at the moment.

Customer:

I will try to answer your question based upon what you wrote so far.

Customer:

If neede you can then either forward your picture later.

Customer:

Claer eyes has the active ingredient Naphazoline.

Customer:

Naphazoline is a vasoconstrictor,meaning that it will cause the blood vessels to cknstrict and therefore releive the symtom of tbe red red eye caused by pollen or other irritants but does not treat the problem.

Customer:

( blood vessels to constrict)

Customer:

In some people it can cause dizzines or headaches as well as with continued use eye discomfort.

Customer:

What can occur with continued use is a rebound redness.Meaning that once the drops effect of vasonconstriction ,narrowing of the blood vessels, wears off the redness returns and may appear worse than what it wass originally.

Customer:

These drops treat the symptoms but not the cause.

Customer:

With prolonged use you can develop dry eyes.

Customer:

Clear eyes is ok maybe for short term use for allegies but if you have been diagnosed with ocular allergies ghere are more apprpriate eye drops your eye doctor could prescribe.However with allergies you would a complaint of itchiness along with the symptom of redness.

Customer:

Dry eyes will give a chrknc redness to your eyes as well as discomfort.

Customer:

You may want to consider discintinuing the use if clear eyes and using a lubricating eye drop such as refresh tears, optive,or systane.

Customer:

I think it also maybe worth it to be re-evaluated for dry eyes as well as having your doctor evaluate you for blepharitis.

Customer:

Blepharitis is a inflammation of tbe eyelids tbat cause redness of the eyes and dryness.

Customer:

So for now I would suggest you do warm compressess twice a day ,discontine clear eyes,use artificial tears and followup with your eye doctor again.

Customer:

The soecialist tbat said nothing was wrong with your eyes may have evaluated you while you were using clear eyes which made your eye s appear white so may have had a false finding on tbat visit.

Customer:

Any other questions leave them in the box below.

Customer:

If not please rate this question before you leave the website.

Customer:

Thank you

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Would you have any idea how long it will be before my eyes return to normal ?

Hello
Dry eyes and blepharitis are chronic conditions and need to be treated on a consistent daily basis to see improvement.
With the minimum treatment of warm compresses and artificial tears treatment you can start to have improvement in 3-6 months.
That having been said does not mean that you can stop doing the above treatment .It needs to be continued to maintain the moisture in your eyes and to prevent them from getting red and irritated.
So as I mentioned,If this does help,I would suggest you followup with your eye doctor so he/she can verify that this is the appropriate treatment for the you.

Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 1 year ago.
It appears as though that the expert that had been previously helping you has decided to opt out. Would you like to work with me towards an answer to your concerns?