Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

hello. I have a slight cough, slightly itchy throat, blocked

hello. I have a slight cough, slightly itchy throat, blocked nose, fatigue and red right eye which yesterday would not stop tearing. Better today, still pinky red with slight tearing and puffiness above and below the eye. Many thanks, Orest.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Good morning. Your symptoms taken together suggest you have a viral illness, and therefore your symptoms sound suspicious for a viral conjunctivitis. Because there is no antiviral medicine that will make this virus go away, you will unfortunately need to ride out the storm with your symptoms. I would recommend cool compresses liberally, the use of artificial tears 4 to 5 times per day, and a lubricating eye ointment at night as you feel like you need it. Usually the virus will run its course in 7 to 12 days but if your eye symptoms get significantly worse before then you may need to go see an ophthalmologist to get treated with steroids because occasionally the information can ramp up too much. Does this make sense?
Customer:

Good morning to you! Early evening here in London. Many thanks for your prompt reply. Your diagnoses and treatment seems to make sense, so will follow your advice. Could you answer me this, basically, where and how are these viruses contracted? Initially, I thought conjunctivitis or even an allergy. Is it contagious at all? Can't remember ever experiencing this at all. Feeling very tired, no energy at all, hope to go back to work tomorrow. Many thanks Doctor, Orest

Doctor DanB : The virus that causes your symptoms is the same virus that causes the common cold. For this reason, they are ubiquitous in society and can be contracted through airborne particles or by touching the virus and putting it in your eyes or mouth or nose. Unfortunately, this can be incredibly contagious. Usually, most people don't have serious problems because of the virus. But newborn babies, immunocompromised people, and very elderly people you should avoid because this can cause some problems with them. Does that make sense?
Customer:

Immunocompromised makes a lot of sense Doctor. I recently have been working very late and long hours with little sleep. Could be a major contributory factor in this. Many thanks for your good help and advice. Orest