Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

i have been told i have an eye freckle at the back of my eye.

i have been told i have an eye freckle at the back of my eye. this freckle seems to have little white dots on it the optitician said i shouldnt worry but as normal i am a bit concerned. it seems i had it two years ago at my last eye test but nothing was said. he has referred me to the eye hospital to get it check out. should i be worried
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. My name isXXXXX and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today. I am a retina sub-specialist.

Dr. Rick :

These "freckles" are known as choroidal nevi. In the vast majority of cases, there are nothing to worry about. You can think of them as "birth marks" in the back of your eye.....

Dr. Rick :

The thing that your optician is worried about is that it, rarely, can be a choroidal melanoma.

Dr. Rick :

In my experience very, very few nevi that come into my office -- and, remember, as a specialist I see a lot of them -- turn out to be anything to worry about.

Dr. Rick :

So. What is the take home message? You optician is doing the right thing to refer you to the eye hospital for an exam, but, really, I'd not worry if I were you.

Dr. Rick :

At the eye hospital they will examine you, take pictures of the nevi and, maybe, do an ultrasound and/or angiogram. Nothing that will hurt :)

Dr. Rick :

Here is a very good article on nevi and melanoma's (but try to ignore the melanoma part :)

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

I cannot see anything that you are typing. Our chat system may not be working well at the moment. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Customer:

yes it does, thank you very much the optician did say that it was flat and nothing was raised. he said it hadnt changed in size so was more than likely nothing to worry but as it was there it is better to get it checked out

Dr. Rick :

He is absolutely correct.. From what you have posted I do not believe you need to worry.

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick :

Is there anything else you would like to discuss this morning (at least it is morning here in the USA :)

Customer:

no thank you, i appreciate your help ill just wait until the appointment comes through and try not to worry in the mean time, im going to have a read through your link

Dr. Rick :

Sounds like a good plan. Take care.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

good afternoon, after thinking for a bit, have been wondering what the white dots could be

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
i would like to know what the white dots could be that apprear to be in the middle of an eye freckle i have. karin trigwell
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Karin,

It is hard to say what the white dots are; usually dots are yellow on nevi. It could be a reflection from the camera. In any event, it is nothing to worry about.

Does this make sense to you?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD