Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

12 days ago I got what I was told was viral conjunctivitis,

12 days ago I got what I was told was viral conjunctivitis, I had red puffy eyes. I have had two lots of antibacterial eye drops and now have zovirax. 7 days ago my left eye which was the worst, has now become very blurry and I can not even see with my glasses which I wear all of the time. Is the loss of vision due to viral conjunctivitis please?

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Doctor DanB : Who diagnosed you with viral conjunctivitis? Who prescribed the antibiotic? Who then diagnosed you with a herpes conjunctivitis and prescribed the Zovirax? Was it a your primary doctor, optometrist or ophthalmologist?
Customer:

I went to the casualty department, each time i seen a gp. They did do a test to my eyes with yellow dye and a light to see if i had an ulcer. I live in a small community and viral conjunctivitis is going around so i was diagnosed because of the red eyes like everybody else. When the antibiotic stuff did not work the last gp i seen gave me the zovirax yesterday and said to go back monday if it dies not work as then he will give ne steriods. I am worried about the loss of vision because one of my cousins had retinal detachment

Doctor DanB : I suspect you have a corneal infection from a herpesvirus. If this is not treated properly and correctly by an ophthalmologist then you may have significant and permanent vision impairment. For this reason you need to abandon care with your primary care doctor and seek help ophthalmologist as soon as possible.Does this make sense?
Customer:

yes it does but i live overseas and do not have access to specialists. I think the opticians are coming here shortly but don't know when.

Doctor DanB : Okay well if that is all you have than that is all you have. Just make sure that you stay on the Zovirax while you were being treated with steroids.
Doctor DanB : Do you have any other questions about this?
Customer:

ok thank you for your help. The last doctor that i seen was the most helpful so i am hoping when i go back on monday he will be there. My vision will come back won't it? Will the steriods clear up the problem do you think

Doctor DanB : Unfortunately, that is a crystal ball type of question. Without having examined you have i have no way of knowing how severe this is how this is actually or how thisis involving your eye. My hope is that being treated with antiviral and the steroid the vision should mostly come back, but it's possible that there is some scarring and some decreased vision permanently.
Customer:

Ok thank you for all of your replies, I will ask more questions when I see the doctor on monday.

Customer:

Thanks again