Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

What can be done to get rid of pinguecula. It seems to have

My EyeWhat can be done to get rid of pinguecula. It seems to have gotten worse and it just doesn't look good :(.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Doctor DanB : Pinguecula are areas of the thin, transparent skin (conjunctiva) which is over the tough, white part of the eye (sclera) that have bunched together and therefore can look raised and change in color. These are usually brought about by UV exposure (sunlight), but sometimes they are just hereditary and people can have them even if they haven't had a significant exposure to UV light over their lifetime.
Doctor DanB : Unfortunately, the only way to rid yourself of these bumps is through surgery. There is no drop or maneuver or treatment that can make them disappear. I hate to offer only a surgical option but there really is no other way to make them go away. Does that make sense?
Doctor DanB : Does this information help address your concerns? Do you have any other questions about this? It appears as though you are not in the chat room currently. I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need. If you would like to ask further questions or clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns when I return to see if you've responded. If your concerns have been resolved... Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!
Customer: Yes, it makes sense. I doubt insurance would cover a cosmetic procedure but it really does bother me and as I get older it seems to getting a bit worse. I've got an appointment Monday and I'm sure thf answer will be the same. Thanks for the answer even if it isn't really what I wanted to hear. I, like everyone, want a magic bullet :)