Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
25407765

my eyes are stinging me and are very red for no reason,I was woken from my sleep

Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 1 year ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Thank you for the question.I am Dr.A.S.Desai and I look forward to assisting you .

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Customer:

yes

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Is this the first time you have had such an episode?

Customer:

yes

Dr. A.S. Desai :

How is the vision in both the eyes?

Customer:

vision is good but eyes feel very irritated as if there was some grit in them

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Alright. I am to understand that the symptoms are present in both the eyes, right?

Customer:

yes

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Painful red eyes which awakens you from your sleep ( with good vision and no other ocular symptoms) is most likely to be due to corneal erosion.

Customer:

which means?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The cornea is made up of five layers out of which the most superficial layer of its epithelium can get eroded. This leaves raw areas of its surface which cause severe stinging sensation and pain. Treatment is to immediately start putting lubricating eye drops and use a lubricating eye ointment at bedtime ( and preferably patch the eye overnight).

Customer:

so will the irritation stop, and should I visit my GP in the morning

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Overnight patching will help the epithelial layer to get reformed.Usually this layer gets formed within 24 hours. To prevent recurrances it is better to use lubricating eye drops regularly. However if you do not find relief the next morning inspite of lubricating eye ointment and patching, it would be better to call up your eye specialist's office so that a detailed and closer look at your eyes can be done.

Customer:

should I rinse my eyes with cold water for the moment

Dr. A.S. Desai :

No, rinsing would not help. Just continue using the lubricating eye drop and patch the eye with a lubricating eye ointment ( available OTC) such as Lacrilube.

Customer:

OK, thank you for your help

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are most welcome. I wish you well. Take care.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince