Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

Hi, I did retinal detachment surgery and cataract in the

I did retinal detachment surgery and cataract in the same time before 3 years (28/08/2010) by silicone oil, then after four months the oil removed (25/12/2010), but there were still some small bubbles of oil in the eye the eye was good around 17mmHg but after one year the pressure of my eye increased around 24mmHg and some doctors told me maybe due to the oil bubbles i am using now COSPOT drops and the eye pressure become normal around 17mmHg …
i am confused shall i do another surgery to remove the remaining small bubbles or no need .. to be honest with you some doctors told me no need and some of them they told me do it?
is there any risk to keep these small bubbles forever?

Hi. My name isXXXXX and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I am a retina surgeon. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

If the oil bubbles are not up against the inside of the front of your eye (corneal endothelium) and your pressure is OK on the drops and the oil is not causing any other problems, I would consul you to just leave them alone at this point.

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your answer , the oil bubbles not on the corneal but:

1- is there any risk to leave them forever inside my eye ?

2-is there any way to dissolve the oil bubbles without surgery?

3-is the the the oil bubbles will dissolve after 5 years ?

Let me address your questions in order:

1. No. A few small bubbles will not cause any harm to stay there for your entire life.

2. No

3. They do not dissolve. Ever.

Does this make sense to you?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.