Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

In my right eye, I have a history of recurrent Central Serous

In my right eye, I have a history of recurrent Central Serous Retinopathy with a retinal detachment 18 years ago off the macula repaired with a scleral buckle resulting in now 20/400 corrected vision. (It has varied from 20/200 - 20/400 since the buckle).

My left eye, along with CSR, had a central retinal bleed treated with argon laser at the time (13 years ago) resulting in no central vision.

My right eye has now developed a "significant cataract" which I am holding off on treating as it is my only workable eye. Last month I was refracted (20/400). At home, while using a makeshift pinhole occluder, my right eye vision improves to 20/200 without a shadowing effect. MOST LIKELY, is this due to a refractive error in my Rx (-6.00) or due to the cataract?

Thank you
Hi. My name isXXXXX and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

I believe you and I chatted in the past concerning the special risks of cataract surgery you might face due to your ocular history.

Pinhole will improve both your refractive error and, if the pinhole lines up with a "clearer" spot in your cataract, could also improve your vision due to the cataract.

So. Doing the pinhole test does not help to differentiate between these two possible causes of your decreased vision....sorry about that.

That being said if an ophthalmologist, whom you trust, tells you that she feels removing your cataract will improve your vision then -- with the data you have provided me on this and our previous discussions -- I say go for it.

The risks of modern cataract surgery are very low, even with your ocular history and if you are having problems doing the things you need to do now secondary to your low vision then I feel that the benefit of better vision is worth the risk of surgery in your case.

(I understand that the last part of my answer was not really asked about in this particular post :)

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS