Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

My 16 year old son sustained a blow to the side of face during

My 16 year old son sustained a blow to the side of face during a select basketball game Sunday morning. Cheek and eye area completely swollen. Two different trainers accessed for concussion (which he previously suffered 4 months ago) and all appears okay. Just before showering within the first 2 hours after injury, his nose bleed a little. While in shower, he blew his nose and immediately he felt his eye swell up even more. No vision issues just itchy eyes. Although the swelling subsides a little each day, he still does have it. The subconjunctival hemorrhage has just recently appeared to my "observing eye" on day 3 and more prevalent this morning, day 4. Do I need to be concerned with the "continuation" of hemorrhaging?

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Does he have any double vision or nausea or eye pain?

No vision issues. Yes to pain in facial cheek area but only complains of "eye itself" itching.

no nausea

Doctor DanB : What did he get hit with?

opposing players head. both were diving for ball

Doctor DanB : Well he may not have classic signs of eye muscle entrapment from this yet,the description of his eye becoming more full and congested and painful from blowing his nose strongly suggests that he has an orbital fracture. If there is a fracture in one of the walls of the orbits then sinus contents have likely been transmitted into the orbit with that nose blowing. I would recommend that he see an ophthalmologist right away as this could lead to infection or could be associated with entrapment of one of the muscles that moved the eye. Does this make sense?

Perfect. Your the best.

Can I print this?

Doctor DanB : Thanks. Do you have any other questions about this?

no, i'm good. thanks

Doctor DanB : Yes, there should be a share link that you can hover your cursor over that should allow you to email print out this conversation. If not, I would suggest selecting the text with your mouse, copying it, and pasting it into a word processor document and printed from there.
Doctor DanB : Good luck then. I hope he does well. Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!