Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Recently, Ive been getting intermittent headaches during the

Recently, I've been getting intermittent headaches during the day. Sometimes in the evening. I have perfect vision according to my doctor and eye specialist.
I'm a male and just turned 29. I'm married and have 2 children, 5 y.o. and 1.5 y.o.

I program websites so I'm staring at crappy monitors all day long.

My family doctor is saying I'm having "muscle contraction" headaches based on my file and his diagnosis.

He has prescribed me an anti-inflammatory that I take 2 times per day, and a muscle relaxer before bed. I'm not necessarily happen with this treatment due to the fact that I don't necessarily like the idea of having to take medicines versus trying to correct the problem.

Intermittently, some mornings I will sit down and my eyes will feel like they are shaking back and forth along with my vision shaking back and forth.
Usually goes away within 30 minutes or so and doesn't return for several weeks if not months.

He's told me to be mindful of my facial expressions, to possibly keep a mirror in front of me to establish if I'm 'scrunching' (my word, not his) my head.

How do you suggest I proceed?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. My name isXXXXX and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Do you have any medical problems or take any medication?

Customer:

No, I take Vyvanse daily for ADD.

Dr. Rick :

Ok.

Dr. Rick :

Well, since you have already had a complete eye exam and refraction by an ophthalmologist I think that consulting with a Neurologist, rather then keeping a mirror nearby to prevent "facial scrunching" would be a more effective way to go.....

Dr. Rick :

There are many causes for symptoms like yours and I would not rush to blame it muscle activity until an expert on headaches has gone over you with a fine tooth comb.

Customer:

It's been a few years, actually, since I've had an ophthalmologist review my vision.
My family doctor said my vision was 20:20.

Dr. Rick :

The family doctors in my town and I have an agreement: I won't treat heart attacks and they won't treat eyes lol!

Customer:

Haha

Customer:

Well, he definitely didn't treat it as "eye"-related.

Customer:

He said that, at age 28-29 - he doesn't see my vision changing enough to be concerned or to call it eye-related.

Customer:

Paraphrasing of course.

Dr. Rick :

In that case, I would start with a complete eye exam and refraction, make sure to tell the ophthalmologist about your recent symptoms. She may want to do a "wet" and a "dry" refraction to see if you have any hidden hyperopia, which could be contributing to your problems

Dr. Rick :

I guess I should come to his office and help manage his next heart attack patient ;-)

Customer:

Ha

Dr. Rick :

I think you would benefit from a more in depth workup then what your GP thinks is indicated.

Customer:

Alright. Sounds like a good plan of action.

Dr. Rick :

It may turn out that everything is OK and you really only need a dime store mirror....but I'd not buy one until all avenues have been explored.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

Of course.

Dr. Rick :

If I was in your shoes, that is what I would do.....

Customer:

Fair enough.

Dr. Rick :

Great. Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this time?

Customer:

I don't believe so, and thanks for your time.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Have a good day.

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS