Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I got a drop of Clorox Cleaner with Bleach in my eye last night.

I got a drop of Clorox Cleaner with Bleach in my eye last night. Irrigated well with tap water for about 5-10 minutes and even sprayed saline spray in eye (dumb mistake). I then got the bright idea of using some left over antibiotic solution from when I had pink eye and today have been using visine (which burns like crazy). At the moment, my eye is terribly red and a bit sore; however, my sight is fine and the eye just feels irritated. What else can I do? What should i expect in the next few days?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. My name isXXXXX and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

You should stop using the left over antibiotic eye drop as it is not necessary and will probably just irritate things more.

Dr. Rick :

Also, do not use a drop that says it is for "getting the red out" like visine as this, too, will just irritate things more.

Dr. Rick :

You did the right thing last night with flushing your eyes out with water and the saline spray didn't hurt anything.

Dr. Rick :

You most likely have a mild chemical conjunctivitis. I suggest you use cold compresses and artificial tears to soothe your eye.

Dr. Rick :

If you wear contacts, don't use them until you eye looks back to normal.

Customer:

How long should I use the cold compress and artificial tears? What are artificial tears?

Dr. Rick :

for a day or two.

Dr. Rick :

Artificial tears are soothing drops to wet your eye. There are many brand names available and the least expensive work just as well as the pricey ones.

Dr. Rick :

So. What is the take home message? You will be OK.

Dr. Rick :

You can buy these drops over the counter almost anywhere.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

Are you still there?

Customer:

Yes, this makes perfect sense; I appreciate it. However...the inflammation in my eye is probably normal, at the moment?

Dr. Rick :

Yes. That is correct. It is mild chemical burn of the skin (conjunctiva) around your eye. You will be OK.

Customer:

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX I appreciate you alleviating my anxiety over the situation.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. I am glad I could help.

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.