Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I got a drop of Clorox Cleaner with Bleach in my eye last night.

I got a drop of Clorox Cleaner with Bleach in my eye last night. Irrigated well with tap water for about 5-10 minutes and even sprayed saline spray in eye (dumb mistake). I then got the bright idea of using some left over antibiotic solution from when I had pink eye and today have been using visine (which burns like crazy). At the moment, my eye is terribly red and a bit sore; however, my sight is fine and the eye just feels irritated. What else can I do? What should i expect in the next few days?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. My name isXXXXX and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

You should stop using the left over antibiotic eye drop as it is not necessary and will probably just irritate things more.

Dr. Rick :

Also, do not use a drop that says it is for "getting the red out" like visine as this, too, will just irritate things more.

Dr. Rick :

You did the right thing last night with flushing your eyes out with water and the saline spray didn't hurt anything.

Dr. Rick :

You most likely have a mild chemical conjunctivitis. I suggest you use cold compresses and artificial tears to soothe your eye.

Dr. Rick :

If you wear contacts, don't use them until you eye looks back to normal.

Customer:

How long should I use the cold compress and artificial tears? What are artificial tears?

Dr. Rick :

for a day or two.

Dr. Rick :

Artificial tears are soothing drops to wet your eye. There are many brand names available and the least expensive work just as well as the pricey ones.

Dr. Rick :

So. What is the take home message? You will be OK.

Dr. Rick :

You can buy these drops over the counter almost anywhere.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

Are you still there?

Customer:

Yes, this makes perfect sense; I appreciate it. However...the inflammation in my eye is probably normal, at the moment?

Dr. Rick :

Yes. That is correct. It is mild chemical burn of the skin (conjunctiva) around your eye. You will be OK.

Customer:

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX I appreciate you alleviating my anxiety over the situation.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. I am glad I could help.

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS